anyweb

Configuring Software Update Point within SCCM

Question

This guide assumes you have SCCM 2007 setup as described here. This guide was based upon a document entitled Patch Management directions for SCCM by Christopher Stauffer which you can find here.

Please note that this guide is designed to help you get a working SUP in SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Superflow:

Software Update Deployment SuperFlow

About Software Update Point:

About Software Update Point

Planning:

Planning for Software Updates Client Settings

Configuration:

Configuring Software Updates

How to Configure the Software Updates Client Agent

How to Create and Configure an Active Internet-Based Software Update Point

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

Software Update Point process Flowcharts:

Software Updates Synchronization Process Flowchart

Software Update Deployment Process Flowchart

Deployment Package Process Flowchart

Related:

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent

1. Install WSUS

Install WSUS but do not configure it. Once done, make sure the Software Update Point Role is installed on the SCCM Server.

sup_role.jpg

Once you've added the Software Update Point role, verify that it is installed by checking the SUPSetup.log, it should have a line which reads Installation was successful

2. Create some Search Folders

In the Software Updates section, right click on Search Folders and choose New Folder,

enterprise_searches.jpg

give the new folder a name like Enterprise Searches (we willl store our yearly searches here)

ent_searches.jpg

Right click on our new folder and choose New Search Folder,

new_search_folder.jpg

select the following options from step 1 (in the screenshot),

BulletinID, Expired and Superseded

choices.jpg

in step 2, Set the BulleinID to MS plus the last two digits of the year eg: MS08

Set Expired to No

Set Superseded to No

Make sure that Search All folders under this feature is selected and give the search a name, eg: 2008 patches

search_folder_criteria.jpg

Now that you know how to make a Search Folder, let's make one for Monthly searches, so right click on Enterprise Patches and choose New Search Folder

Fill it in as follows

monthly_search.jpg

and now make one for Windows Server 2008, we do this by adding Product as a search criteria and typing in the search phrase to look for, naturally you can customise it to suit your needs.

server_2008_patches.jpg

rest is OK. deployment failed when "windows update offline" is starting...

other software deployment works well...and if i skip "offline Windows update", deployment works well...

here is my Task sequence..something really simple.. (i disabled offline update since it doesnt work)

screen02f.jpg

some idea about errors ?

Regards,

Marc.

yes of course for the MDT, if i create an MDT TS i use tooolkit package.

but here i use a standard task seuquence create with SCCM 2007 (R3), and i add "Software offline update" and i browse on my Package 'All Windows 7 Update" i created in my SUS, as you can see in the screenshots in my prvious reply.

So i get this Unknow errors about Failed to install software update as you can see.. i don't know why :-/

looks some post before mine, ia2s , did it (as we can see in his screenshot n°3), i would like to know if it works for him or not

Regards, :)