anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8 in UEFI mode using Configuration Manager 2012 ?

This is all great info, but what if I need to deploy to a UEFI tablet with no legacy bios option, and my task sequence media to copy to USB stick is greater than 4gb? I can't seem to figure this out. I can create stand alone media >4GB and copy it to a bootable USB stick and get it to work fine for standard bios, but when it comes to a UEFI device i'm struggling to get it to recognise the USB stick. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Yes sir, the problem is that you cant boot UEFI unless you are using FAT32 on the USB stick, that is indeed a problem. But what you could do is to create a BOOT USB stick , just for booting and then connect to your CM server and install everything that works fine!

So Format usb->FAT32 put the boot files on there and go! good luck.

Yes sir, the problem is that you cant boot UEFI unless you are using FAT32 on the USB stick, that is indeed a problem. But what you could do is to create a BOOT USB stick , just for booting and then connect to your CM server and install everything that works fine!

So Format usb->FAT32 put the boot files on there and go! good luck.

Nice info, thank you very much. I hope the product team is aware of this problem and will add a new dialog option for UEFI boot sticks.

I followed the steps in this guide and everything worked great.

Has anybody tried to use the offline servicing feature with the Windows 8 wim file? When I attempt to image a workstation with the patched wim file I get an error message in the task sequence when windows attempts to start the first time. The message says the windows is unable to configure one of it's components. Has anybody been able to use scheduled updates with Windows 8?

Disregard this post... I reverted to an older Hyper-V snapshot and accidentally installed the RTM version of System Center.

I need details on how you are partitioning the hard drive. You have a note that says "Right click on your new task sequence, choose Edit, take note of the Partition Disk 0 – UEFI step, if it is not present, please review my Note above.". I have combed over this article at least three times looking for your note and I must have a visual block cause I don't see it.

This is easy to do with diskpart but how do you make it do an EFI and MSR partition. Normally I'd expect them to be in the drop down list with Primary and Hidden.

I've just done a fresh install of System Center 2012 with SP1 on a 2012 server using SQL 2012 with SP1.

Edited by iconiu

I spent ages on this problem, so i thought I would post and hopefully help others.

Thats because if you setup the USB drive using diskpart, then copy over the contents of the Boot Media ISO, you will NOT have the CRUCIAL EFI files to boot from.

Therefore, make sure the following folder\files are present (you can search for the files in the ADK folder).

For 32-bit devices x:\Boot\efi\bootia32.efi

For 64-bit devices x:\Boot\efi\bootx64.efi

Without these files, in the folder structure indicated, the device will not boot. There seems to be little documentation to tell people of this. Presumably when you create a generic WinPE4 device following the many guides around, the above files are copied. But for some reason, creating SCCM boot media does not copy them, despite them being essential in order to boot.

Hope this helps.

I spent ages on this problem, so i thought I would post and hopefully help others.

Thats because if you setup the USB drive using diskpart, then copy over the contents of the Boot Media ISO, you will NOT have the CRUCIAL EFI files to boot from.

Therefore, make sure the following folder\files are present (you can search for the files in the ADK folder).

For 32-bit devices x:\Boot\efi\bootia32.efi

For 64-bit devices x:\Boot\efi\bootx64.efi

Without these files, in the folder structure indicated, the device will not boot. There seems to be little documentation to tell people of this. Presumably when you create a generic WinPE4 device following the many guides around, the above files are copied. But for some reason, creating SCCM boot media does not copy them, despite them being essential in order to boot.

Hope this helps.

I thought i had added that info to the guide but i guess i didn't, i've added it now, and by the way, it's unsupported to created media (iso for cd/dvd) and then copy/extract to USB, it may work, but it unsupported, if you want to create usb media in a supported way, then use the wizard for USB creation.

Mikey,

So with SCCM 2012 R2 are you saying that UEFI doesn't boot without making a change? I am having a problem and it doesn't PXE boot or USB boot.

Thanks,

Jason

It is worth adding to this post i think, this issue seems to have been fixed with R2. You can now dump the contents of the ISO to an appropriately setup USB flash device and boot EFI successfully. No need to manually copy around EFI files.