guyver78

Hiding Apps in Software Center after Install

Is there a way to hide Installed Applications from users in Software Center on client computers after they are deployed? I know you can hide OS notifications after installation by checking the "Disable this task sequence on computers where it is deployed" or just selecting different OS in Task sequence properties but is there a way to just hide all applications once the user has installed them? i dont want to give the users the option of "Uninstall" then re-install the applications over and over after i've deployed them via Software Center.

Anyone Please???

Doing a bit of reading I've also discovered a few other problems. In a perfect world sure making software "Available" to users to Install/Uninstall as they wish is a great thing but since I work in an educational facility making software "Available" is not an option since I know Kids will just uninstall software packages all the time just to get out of class and play dumb that so and so is not working.

Deploying an Application and making it "Required" will install it but it will install it on a whole device collection and it will be attached to that device collection for life which is not what i want.

So what actually happens when you have 300 computers in a device collection and you want to deploy a few different Applications to only a few different machines only but not the whole collection? Do you have to create a new device collection and do a direct computer import every time you want to install an application on one machine only? Surely there has to be a better way of doing things since that way you can end up with 100 new device collections every week.

Is there a way of installing an application on a single computer in a large device collection ONCE ONLY so that after install it disappears from software center on a client PC and there's NO option to uninstall it???

Targeting specific users instead of computers is good in theory but in practice its a mess if you have a few different brand computers.

Can you not simply remove the deployment after it has been successful.....does this not remove it from software center....Think it does!!

If it was me and I was in your situation I would create Baseline variables on the collections.........

May I ask why you have this problem about dividing up the collections in the first place....does your AD not have structure to seperate out the different classrooms???

If it does like any AD structure should(for deploying GPOs etc to classrooms computers etc) then I would replicate this structure in your SCCM computer collections and use query commands to populate the new device collections from AD....this way after you do OSD on the collections you will not have to keep adding the Computer accounts directly back into them from the all systems collection as the query assigned to the collections will look after this for you...

I take it that at the moment you are directly adding the computers to your collections(bad idea especially in an Education enviornment where OSD will take place regular) there will be extra management than needs be..by the way you are doing this at the moment....directly adding computers??

Targeting specific users instead of computers is good in theory but in practice its a mess if you have a few different brand computers.

By this do you mean different model or diiferent OS??

Models should cause no hassel at all when using user specific deployments...just the OS as some software may not be comaptible with the flavour of OS.

If it is OS then have you heard of APP-V.......you may want to see about getting this set up........virtual apps dont mind what OS version they run on.

Rocket Man

Thankyou for your reply Rocket Man, appreciate it.

Ok you cannot remove an Application or a Package that was directly deployed to a device collection, once it's deployed to that device collection it appears that it's there for the life of that collection.

I have however found a way around that, all you do is create a "Custom Task Sequence" and add in a particular application (or as many applications/packages as you like) and that way you can specify when that task sequence is available or you can even create a folder and manually disable it whenever you like so this basically answers my whole question and is exactly what I was after :)

Sorry what do you mean when you're referring to baseline variables on the collections???

I have divided up the collections quite a bit and i have created a lot of 'location based' collections so that's all good.

All and All i'd like to just keep it simple and have location based collections and Class based collections for the devices that kids have. My images will be quite static and I will only be deploying a few new Applications throughout the year but as you can imagine in a school type environment that's full of kids there will be laptop re-imaging going on almost on a daily basis.

My AD is based on 2 major OU's, 1 for servers and 1 for workstations so all of my workstations are in the 1 OU (Desktops, Laptops, Slates etc etc) hence why i have to create different collections in SCCM to separate everything.

I know doing a direct import of all computers to device collections is a lot of work but once its done once and properly then you have all your device collections nicely set out. Why do you think that its a bad idea?