btrading

TS fails Installing applications 80004005

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get Application Installation working through a task sequence. This should be pretty simple and I have it working just fine in my 2007 environment but something isn't working in 2012. I have attached my smsts-<datetime>.log file for reference.

I have verified the permissions to all of the shares and directories and to the best of my knowledge, everything is proper. I have made sure all of the applications are distributed to the DP and show green. I am able to access the actual MSI files that are supposed to be running when I am in the cmd window after the software setup fails so it's not a permissions issue.

If anyone could lend a hand, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Michael

smsts-20120829-162152.log

Hi Rocket Man,

Sorry for the slow response. Its been a crazy busy day here.

Yes, all apps are enabled to be installed by Install Application task sequence. They do work individually when deployed to client workstations but not through an imaging task sequence. I have attached another screenshot of the application list and the task sequence for review. These particular apps are not configured for superintendence or prerequisites so that is not a concern.

Why are you asking about IIS? Does that have an affect on the imaging process and software installation other than the Software Center?

Michael

Peter, that is expected. Looking at the log, that was from when I was testing a different method of pushing out the software and had steps 01 and 02 disabled. I appologize for putting up a junk log. I can provide a clean log if that would be of help. This is almost an exact copy of the task sequence from SCCM 2007, based off of Anywebs' guides, that was working.

Would it be better to to an Install Application step and just list the applications in there as it looks like there is built in functionality to install multiple applications without using the dynamic variables?

Peter, after resolving a driver issue I was having, I was able to try installing all of the applications in a single step (screenshot attached) but that too failed. I don't even see any instances of it trying to install the applications or the error code in the logs. It's failing with 0x80004005 again. I am completely stumped at this point.

I'm also having issues getting around in the monitoring structure of 2012 vs 2007. Where can I see the details of why the TS failed in the management console? I'm looking under Deployments at the TS and the information seems exceedingly limited.

EDIT: If I tell the TS to continue if the app install fails, the process completes and boots into Windows but there are no apps installed.

post-12234-0-87791500-1346879470_thumb.png

They do work individually when deployed to client workstations but not through an imaging task sequence

Have you tried it singular via a task sequence(custom task sequence...not imaging task sequence) or just a deployed program??

Rocket Man

I actually did try that this morning and it did work with a subset of the applications. I just redid the application only TS with all 9 apps to see if they all deploy.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the timing of the events in the task sequence. I've started working on a configuration baseline to install the applications after the machine is added to the appropriate collections but I don't feel that this is a viable solution in the long run.

Thanks for the help. I will update shortly.