jvargas

Software Updates not "Required"

Hi everybody

After I have downloaded the first set of updates, subsequently set up the first Software Update Group and assigned it to a Device Collection I defined beforehand, I am currently struggling with the following issue:

Not even one single Software Update in the Software Update Group is shown as "Required" in the Console.

The clients in the Device Collection are definitely not having these updates installed already. Which should put the status of all the Updates to "Required".

To me, this makes absolutely no sense since applications can be deployed without any problems. So it's not basically a communication issue between the client(s) and the backend.

The architecture here consists of 4 servers and is set up as the following (NAME - ROLES):

SRV1 - Component, Site Server, Site System, Reporting, DB
SRV2 - Component, Site Server, Site System, App Catalog, DB, Management Point
SRV3 - Component, Site Server, Site System, Distribution Point
SRV4 - Component, Site Site System, Software Update Point

Some logfile-entries from the client:

UpdatesDeployment.log

<![LOG[Evaluation initiated for (0) assignments.]LOG]!><time="09:50:44.931-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesDeploymentAgent" context="" type="1" thread="5272" file="assignmentsmanager.cpp:1108">
<![LOG[Message received: '<?xml version='1.0' ?><SoftwareUpdatesMessage MessageType='EvaluateAssignments'><UseCachedResults>False</UseCachedResults></SoftwareUpdatesMessage>']LOG]!><time="10:06:15.033-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesDeploymentAgent" context="" type="1" thread="5996" file="cdeploymentagent.cpp:189">
<![LOG[Removing scan history to force non cached results]LOG]!><time="10:06:15.033-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesDeploymentAgent" context="" type="1" thread="5996" file="assignmentsmanager.cpp:1217">
<![LOG[Assignment({8E213C0E-2B01-46C8-9293-8F9DA552C464}) already in progress state (AssignmentStateDetecting). No need to evaluate]LOG]!><time="10:06:15.065-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesDeploymentAgent" context="" type="1" thread="5996" file="updatesassignment.cpp:819">

ScanAgent.log

<![LOG[- -Processing Scan Job TTL invalidity request]LOG]!><time="09:50:44.915-120" date="08-31-2012" component="ScanAgent" context="" type="1" thread="5272" file="scanjobmgr.cpp:600">
<![LOG[Message received: '<?xml version='1.0' ?> <UpdateSourceMessage MessageType='ScanByUpdateSource'>
<ForceScan>TRUE</ForceScan>
<UpdateSourceIDs>
<ID>{0483E1D4-E0E8-4AE5-8319-7918DF5942BB} </ID>
</UpdateSourceIDs>
</UpdateSourceMessage>'
]LOG]!><time="10:06:12.707-120" date="08-31-2012" component="ScanAgent" context="" type="1" thread="920" file="cscanagent.cpp:956">
<![LOG[*****ScanByUpdateSource request received with ForceReScan=2, ScanOptions=0x0000000a, WSUSLocationTimeout = 604800]LOG]!><time="10:06:12.707-120" date="08-31-2012" component="ScanAgent" context="" type="1" thread="920" file="cscanagent.cpp:181">
<![LOG[sources are not current]LOG]!><time="10:06:12.723-120" date="08-31-2012" component="ScanAgent" context="" type="1" thread="920" file="utils.cpp:109">

UpdatesHandler.log

<![LOG[initiating updates scan for checking applicability.]LOG]!><time="09:39:35.118-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesHandler" context="" type="1" thread="3552" file="capplicabilityhandler.cpp:434">
<![LOG[successfully initiated scan.]LOG]!><time="09:39:35.290-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesHandler" context="" type="1" thread="3552" file="capplicabilityhandler.cpp:490">
<![LOG[CUpdatesAgent::FinalConstruct entered]LOG]!><time="09:43:52.719-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesHandler" context="" type="1" thread="5204" file="cupdatesagent.cpp:48">
<![LOG[initiating updates scan for checking applicability.]LOG]!><time="09:43:52.751-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesHandler" context="" type="1" thread="5200" file="capplicabilityhandler.cpp:434">
<![LOG[successfully initiated scan.]LOG]!><time="09:43:52.829-120" date="08-31-2012" component="UpdatesHandler" context="" type="1" thread="5200" file="capplicabilityhandler.cpp:490">

I don't have a PatchDownloader.log on any client. So ...

Any input would be greatly appreciated, since this stuff is driving me nuts :angry:

On your client in windows update....does it say managed by systems administrator??

And no you are right it should not affect the status in the console....(if your updates are truly managed by WSUS/SCCM)

And are your clients in the collection not receiving this software update package deployment at all??..... or is it just a console compliance issue you are having with it not reporting correctly?

Rocket Man

On your client in windows update....does it say managed by systems administrator??

It does not say anything about the source when I open Windows Updates via Control Panel.

Although it displays me "94 important updates available". Seems like it checks on the WWW for updates, since I only added 24 updates to the Software Update Group on SCCM.

(if your updates are truly managed by WSUS/SCCM)

I honestly doubt that this is the case at the moment. Why ever that is, it makes not much sense to me.

And are your clients in the collection not receiving this software update package deployment at all??..... or is it just a console compliance issue you are having with it not reporting correctly?

Good question - In which of the 2 billion logfiles would this be logged?

Well if it is a default install of WSUS by doing the guides here on windows-noob.....then YES I feel it should say managed by Systems Administrator...well mine does anyway and I have 15 remotes sites and 1 centrally managed PS with WSUS on same server...so in other words WSUS/SCCM is supplying updates to all these remote sites and when I open up any remote PC from any location it is managed by Sytems Administrator. Thus meaning that WSUS/SCCM is working for updates!!

Maybe my setup is wrong but it seems to be working for me....maybe somebody else can comment on this!

Good question - In which of the 2 billion logfiles would this be logged?

No need for log files on this...if the machines have recieved the package and installed the updates...just check installed updates on the machines!!!

Has your client machines any other problems with policies.....endpoint, software advertisements etc...

Rocket Man

Alright - Sorry for not responding. Been quite busy.

So, since I didn't set up the environment by myself I cannot really tell you how it has been set up. But I can tell that all the other features and roles seem to work absolutely proper.

After going through the Post here on the page http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5683-using-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part-5-adding-wsus-adding-the-sup-role-deploying-the-configuration-manager-client-agent/]CLICK[/url].

The "Central Access SIte" (CAS) and "Primary Site" (PRI) are consisting of the following systems: CAS - SRV1 + SRV4 ... PRI - SRV2 + SRV3

Role-Definitions can be found in my initial post.

I found out some differences:

• There is no Software Update Point installed on the Primary Site. Only on SRV4 of the Central Access Site.
  • I am not sure about the GPO. Did not have time to check this today. Although looking at this point as is: We do not deploy the CM-Client via GPO.
  • Subsequently to the point above (GPO), the Option "Software-Update Based Client Installation" is not activated.

No need for log files on this...if the machines have recieved the package and installed the updates...just check installed updates on the machines!!!

Cool, kinda happy about that. Already had horror visions about that. To be honest, to me this is a terrible tool to troubleshoot. Even Tomcat is a charm compared to SCCM.

Has your client machines any other problems with policies.....endpoint, software advertisements etc...

Not at all, softwares can be deployed easily and without any interruptions. Don't know about endpoint, we don't use this feature.