rkh

Software Updates not installing in Build & Capture TS

Hello,

I've created several B&C task sequences that have worked fine in the past. I am now trying to include Software Updates however they fail to install.

The updates are in a Software Update Group and Deployment Package, this is deployed to the B&C device collection (which installs fine outside of the task sequence).

During the task sequence it displays: Running Action: Install Updates ~ Downloading 1 of 58 updates (0% complete).. but it does not install any updates and after a while moves on to the next item in the task sequence.

I have seen several postings on this issue and think I've attempted all suggestions. I have specified SMSMP=servername.domain.com in the Setup Windows and Config Manager TS step. Have also set Data Access on all TS referenced packages to 'Copy the content in this package share on the distribution points:..' and then selected 'access content directly from a distribution point when needed by the running task sequence'

The Install Updates step in the Task Sequence is set to 'All Software Updates'

Is there anything else I can try? Would the Management point need to be configured to allow a workgroup PC to install the updates?

Many thanks

Hi Oneone,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this and you are correct that it does not join the domain.

I am installing the configuration manager as per the built in task sequence step. Under installation properties it allows me to specify the SMSMP but I get the following error notification when trying to add SMSSITECODE. Installation properties can not include SMSSITECODE or SMSPROVISIONINGMODE

Should I install it as a regular software package and specify the SMSSITECODE as part of the command line install parameters instead?

I have also seen this suggestion but doesn't seem to make a difference for me:

if you want to apply all advertised updates in your BuC or other TS you must trigger a full updatescan as a command before the update step:

WMIC /namespace:\\root\ccm path sms_client CALL TriggerSchedule "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000113}" /NOINTERACTIVE

I know that in 2007 the SMSSLP is required but understand that has been superseded by SMSMP?

Kind regards

all you need for the setup windows and configmgr step is

SMSMP=FQDN.OF.YOUR.SERVER

and as it's build and capture, don't join the DOMAIN join a WORKGROUP instead

Hi Anyweb,

I have set the smsmp with our sccm.fqdn but it still fails. Definitely joining a workgroup and not domain.

It's really strange that drivers and (software) packages do install but applications and updates do not. They do deploy fine in a deployment TS so for now I'll do that (which is a shame as the deploy TS will take longer then it would had these applications & updates been included on the b&c).

Thanks

Still not working? Try using this ,

Install properties: DNSSUFFIX="dnssuffixhere" SMSMP=FQDN of your software update point.

Also, where in the sequence do you have the "Install update" task?

Edit, btw why do you want to install the application during build and capture? you will get a more dynamic image if you install all the applications and packages during the OS deployment itself.

I've tried-

Install Properties: DNSSUFFIX=domainname.com SMSMP=sccmservername.domainname.com

But that still hasn't made a difference. The SMSMP server name doesn't need http:// or anything like that does it? The B&C is taking place on the LAN.

The Install Applications step is after Setup Windows and Configuration Manager and before Capture Reference Machine. This is where it appears when following the Task Sequence wizard for Build & Capture.

There are only a small number of applications that I want to include in the B&C, I've found in testing (in CM2007) that including applications at the B&C stage results in a quicker deployment then when added in a deployment TS.

Is there a fundamental difference between Packages and Applications, If I include packages at this stage they install correctly?!!

Thanks again for taking an interest and giving me some help. It's much appreciated.

Just a tought, Have you made an software update group and deployed that to your build and capture collection?

and btw have you tryed checking using this for your packages? go to properties on your program for the package.

59397941.png

Hi Oneone,

Yes I've made a software update group and deployed it to the B&C collection. This step seems to start OK as it picks up the number of updates however none install (displays installing 1 of 54 for a while and then moves on to the next task).

Our Packages do not typically have that box checked however they do still install during B&C, it's the Applications that do not install. There is a similar sounding option in Applications: "Allow this application to be installed from the Install Application task sequence action instead of deploying it manually" I've selected this option so will see if that helps.

Many thanks