anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64 SP1

I'm sure this is something very simple and obvious, but I've come to step 11, PXE boot our computer and I don't know how to start this virtual machine up. I thought I would have a 'remote control' option, but that's grey'd out.

post-17618-0-21302500-1348693618_thumb.jpg

First time digging into sccm and I've followed the previous 6 parts up to this point.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello!

You have to enable "remote controll" in the default client settings! :)

I created a virtual machine on the same host I have the servers on and can not get it to PXE boot as it's not getting an IP through DHCP. I have my dhcp server as ad1 (see screen shot). I'm running the lab domain in my corporate environment and have a vlan configured so nothing get's disturbed on the production environment.

Anyone find a work around for this so it gets an IP?

post-17618-0-08760500-1349125611_thumb.jpg

when you created the virtual machine in hyperv, did you set the network card to Legacy Adaptor ? it wont work for PXE boot otherwise

I created a virtual machine on the same host I have the servers on and can not get it to PXE boot as it's not getting an IP through DHCP. I have my dhcp server as ad1 (see screen shot). I'm running the lab domain in my corporate environment and have a vlan configured so nothing get's disturbed on the production environment.

Anyone find a work around for this so it gets an IP?

Have you checked the smspxe log on the server? , did you check that wds is up and running?

And like anyweb said, you need to use the "Legacy Network Adapter" for network boot.

You could try installing windows manually just to se that you can get an IP adress in there, if that works you probably need to configure IP-Helpers if the computers are on seperate networks.

it's best practise to use Virtual Hardware for Building and Capturing images, that way the images remain driver free and hardware agnostic, there are plenty of free alternatives out there for virtualising,

that said, are you PXE booting a computer that is in the same VLAN (network) as the network that your Configuration Manager PXE enabled distribution point ?

after much head scratching it dawned on me that having SP1 in my test lab might be confusing the issue. Sure enough, the OSD has changed slightly 'by design'

https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext/feedback/details/756714/sccm-2012-sp1-ctp2-unable-to-select-os-installer-for-build-capture-task-sequence

Looking forward to some SP1 guides :D