anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64 SP1

Hello One More Time Guys;

Please ignore my 2 messages above, I figured it out... Now I've another problem.

I'm using MDT2012 integrated SCCM2012 to deploy Windows Server 2012. All regional settings can be set correctly, input locale, timezone, systemlocale but when a new user (administrator) logs on to Windows Server 2012, the new user's "Format" (time, currency...) and Location (home location) settings are set to English / Unitied States. These settings must be set to the default Format and Location values. How can I set them for new users during deployment?

regionalsettingsproblem.png

What I figured is that when these files get extracted the permissions are incorrectly set. They are owned by the "TrustedInstaller" account and only this account has full rights on the files.
This is clearly a bug, and the permissions must be changed manually every time you update the boot files.
This can be done using PS:
takeown /f D:\RemoteInstall /R /D Y
icacls D:\RemoteInstall /grant SYSTEM:F /t
What I've tried:
1. Uninstalling the MP, PXE, WDS, DP
2. Take ownership of the RemoteInstall folder and reboot
3. Deleting the RemoteInstall folder, Installing the MP, DP, reboot
4. Adding PXE, distribute bootimages
At this point I was getting the same errors and the WSUS service was not starting anymore. (service could not start error 193: 0x1)
Rollback to last snapshot trying a different approach...
I've tried to remove only the PXE service with the same result. (File permissions incorrect in the SMSTempBootFiles folder and RequestMPKeyInformation: Send() failed)
I've tried various combinations of these actions in the last few days all ending with the same result.
I'm at wits end but I do not want to start from scratch and reconfigure everything.
My site is backed up using the Site Maintenance Task, Is there a way to install a fresh server and migrate Collections ADRs, AMPs, Packages and settings?
I am running SCCM 2012 SP1 Standalone Primary Site Server on a VM hosted on VM-ware ESXi, with standard Network Interfaces (E1000)
The database is hosted locally on SQL Server 2012

I just wanted to see if you have had any luck with this. I am getting the MsiEnumRelatedProducts failed message, although my PXE seems to be working fine. I have tried changing permissions and doing various other things, but it seems to make no difference. I'm a bit nervous to keep going forward with this error coming up in the logs, but it does *look* like everything's working okay thus far.

I have an issue different from the ones mentioned above. On the step for creating a Task Sequence, After naming the sequence and selecting the 64bit boot image I'm suppose to selcet a package and image on the "Install Windows" step. When I hit browse the list is empty. Any ideas?

SP1 changed from the guide that you were probably using. The Task Sequence is looking for the image not the installer. You need to add to the OS image not the OS installer.

I have an issue different from the ones mentioned above. On the step for creating a Task Sequence, After naming the sequence and selecting the 64bit boot image I'm suppose to selcet a package and image on the "Install Windows" step. When I hit browse the list is empty. Any ideas?

So I'm working through a build and capture and was having the hardest time. I was getting a lot of the same messages on attempting a PXE boot with my VMware ESX 4.1 VM and SCCM 2012 SP1.

First, I needed to make sure that I specified a trusted certificate instaed of the self-signed certificate in the distribution point settings (See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerosd/thread/2e3d5d45-e9e2-4e8f-a306-ab331927e726/)

Second, I needed to let SCCM do the install and configuring of WDS on the distribution point. SCCM still put the RemoteInstall folder on the data volume I created instead of the system volume - maybe because of the NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS on C:\ or maybe it was because on my first go I had tried to install WDS manually. I did follow removal steps for the PXE feature. Basically, I unchecked those options for the distribution point, let SCCM remove WDS, rebooted the server, removed the old RemoteInstall fodler, and then went back and selected the PXE feature for the distribution point.

After that, my VM was booting, but becasue I'm on ESX 4.1, it doesn't play correctly with the WinPE 4.0 boot image. I'm still looking at a workaround for that to get a WinPE 3.0 boot image available.

Instead, I asked our desktop support group for an old PC I could test with. Once I added it into the correct colelction, it booted great and the task sequence has gone without issue. The image is about 2 clicks away from finishing the capture process. Oh. It's done :).

In the Build and capture, I even got it to update the Win 7 SP1 image with Software updates and isntalled a couple of programs into the image (Office Communicator 2007 R2, Flash 10 and .NET 4 - all from the Software Model portion of the SCCM SDK)

On to deploying.

Thanks for this forum. It has been REALLY helpful

Attempting this with VMWare does not work but trying it on a real PC and I make it to the TS Wizard Password screen. I guess this is MS' way of getting me to use Hyper-V?

no, it just means you need a newer version of vmware or add the drivers needed for the boot image. What version of vmware workstation are you testing with ?