anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64 SP1

I'm at a serious loss here. I've been trying to get the Build & Capture tasks to work. After hitting a few roadbumps I finally managed to get to the capturing part.

When it starts the capture I get an error that says:

Task Sequence: Build and Capture - Windows 7 x64 NL has failed with the error code 0x80070056

I've setup a Network Access Account and the folder where the WIM needs to go is writable by this account.

The client is a physical device, I had to deploy a network driver for it to connect in a decent way but it has an IP prior to starting the capture TS.

The client can ping the hostname of the SCCM server.

For the sake of testing I've made the folder where the WIM needs to go writable by "Everyone".

No luck.

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

smsts.log

you should create your image on virtual hardware, it's much more predictable and can be deployed to any hardware you want,

your error is this

<![LOG[Error. Received 0x80072ee7 from WinHttpSendRequest.]LOG]!><time="10:58:54.281-120" date="08-29-2013" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1692" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:8887">
<![LOG[invalid server address (unknown host, and cannot be converted to inet address)]LOG]!><time="10:58:54.281-120" date="08-29-2013" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1692" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:691">
<![LOG[hr, HRESULT=80072ee7 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\osdmessaging\libsmsmessaging.cpp,8936)]LOG]!><time="10:58:54.281-120" date="08-29-2013" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="1692" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:8936">
<![LOG[sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7]LOG]!><time="10:58:54.281-120" date="08-29-2013" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1692" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:8936">
<![LOG[Will retry in 5 second(s)]LOG]!><time="10:58:54.281-120" date="08-29-2013" component="TSManager" context="" type="2" thread="1692" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:1835">
<![LOG[Retrying...]LOG]!><time="10:58:59.897-120" date="08-29-2013" component="TSManager" context="" type="2" thread="1692" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:1839">

which is a network related problem, more than likely it drops the ip address or doesnt get one at all after sysprep so if you choose to stay with real hardware are you loading any network drivers before the setup windows and configmgr step ?

I've uploaded the relevant driver to my server. Created a driver package and distributed it.

Referenced the driver in the boot x64 image. The hardware is getting an IP.

The reason I'm working with a physical device was that this is going to be our new hardware for a while to come. I figured I'd create on there, because that's what we'll be using. However, if there are no downsides to creating the image on a VM I'd be happy to give that a whirl.

Let me cook up a VM :-)

Wonderfull. The VMWare capture did the trick.

Where would I go looking on how to customize this image with drivers for our hardware, and setting regional stuff like keyboard layouts etc?

Or should I have done this in the build/capture image?

Hi, I'm QUITE new to this set of tools, my company just purchased SC2012 and I've been going through your EXTREMELY HELPFUL blog posts. Thank you by the way!

I have a problem, I was reading this particular article, and I was under the impression that "Capture Win7" meant that I would build a win 7 to my companies spec's and then run this task and it would CAPTURE the image for me to deploy to other systems. However, when I ran through this, it wiped out and created a new image on the (freshly built) VM i set up to company specs..

So my question is:

How do I use SC2012 to grab my image for future deployments? (or have I just not read far enough along your blog posts?)

Continuing in this great blog series I arrived to what seems the holy grail to me: deploying an image

I use a VMware machone to PXE boot and this goed great, the boot image gets offered win PE starts and after waiting a while the SCCM intro screen even appears, but then the windows gets prepared and the network settings are set the VMware machine reboots please advice

I read in the blog i need to add drivers to the bootimage for the standard VMware ethernetcard, can some explain how I do that

enable cmd support and press F8 prior to it bombing out, then grab the smsts.log file located in x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log

post it here

to add drivers to your boot image simply right click the boot image attached to your task sequence, select the drivers tab then add a driver by clicking on the yellow star... point to the required driver and continue through the wizard, only add NETwork drivers that you actually need by verifiying if lack of network (ipconfig is a good test) is actually your problem.

drivers in boot wim.png