anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64 SP1

it's no problem, you can always decide which index of the captured image (1 or 2) you wish to apply in the Apply Operating System step.

I appreciate the quick response.

And you do that by editing the Build and Capture Task Sequence? Would you happen to know where to change that?

I used that built image in my MDT Task Sequence and its still applying the image to the D: drive. I've followed your other posts on this subject, made the suggested changes but no luck.

Thanks again for your help.

Do you know if capturing Volume 2 of 2 will affect what drive the OS will install during and MDT Task Sequence? I’m trying to avoid installing the OS on the D: drive. I read that the imaged captured during a Build and Capture will resolve that issue.

I appreciate the quick response.

And you do that by editing the Build and Capture Task Sequence? Would you happen to know where to change that?

I used that built image in my MDT Task Sequence and its still applying the image to the D: drive. I've followed your other posts on this subject, made the suggested changes but no luck.

Thanks again for your help.

see here, just place it before the Apply Operating Image step in your Build task sequence

build windows 8.1 x64.png

Unfortunately that didn't resolve the D drive issue. I believe I've tried everything.

1. Captured image using MDT

2. Edited Task Sequence - Format and Partition Disk - BDEDrive (Primary) - Checked Do not assign a drive letter to this partition

3. Added OSDPreserveDriveLetter = False before Apply Operating System Image

Is there anything I am missing?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I've been working on and off on this for several weeks and I'm about to go mad :( .

Ah, I noticed that the Task Sequence, under Apply Operating System Image - Apply operating system from a captured image looks like:

Image package: Window 7 Enterprise x64 (the name I gave the operating system in SCCM 2012)

Image: 1 - WIN7ENTX64DDrive

I'm guessing the image capture in MDT didn't work accordingly. It should read 1 - WIN7ENTX64CDrive.

change your step 1 above to captured in Configuration Manager (try using the capture media method i've posted here)

it will work fine then

Followed the Above Steps But im getting PXE Boot Issue: Please find the below image for ERROR:

My test machines cannot PXE boot.
My lab environment is very simple:

10.10.0.0/24 subnet

10.10.0.5 = Server2012, DHCP, DNS, SQL Server 2008 R2 Sp2

10.10.0.7 = Server2012, SCCM2012

All machines are Oracle VM Box virtual machines connecting through the same virtual network.

Setup the PXE service from DP properties. I let SCCM install WDS. WDS in Server Manager does not have a server node, but the WDS service is running. DP PXE tab is configured as follows:
"Enable PXE support for clients" is checked
"Allow this distribution point to respond to incoming PXE requests" is checked
"Enable unknown computer support" is checked
"Require a password when computers use PXE" is not checked
"User device affinity" is set to "Allow user device affinity with automatic approval"
PXE is configured to respond on all network interfaces
The PXE server response delay is 0 seconds

The DHCP server has options configured as follows:
Option 66: 10.10.0.11
Option 67: smsboot\x86\wdsnbp.com

Both DP and MP on SCCM server are configured for HTTP.

Both x86 and x64 boot images have been distributed to DP. The media was updated after PXE was enabled on the DP.

Both x86 and x64 boot images have "Deploy this image from the PXE service point" enabled on the Data Source tab of their properties.

For SCREENSHOT

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36mqRWoDg_GRnRXc2VJcVZEVUU/edit?usp=sharing

SMSPXE.Log

<![LOG[Client boot action reply: <ClientIDReply><Identification Unknown="0" ItemKey="16777219" ServerName=""><Machine><ClientID/><NetbiosName/></Machine></Identification><PXEBootAction LastPXEAdvertisementID="" LastPXEAdvertisementTime="" OfferID="" OfferIDTime="" PkgID="" PackageVersion="" PackagePath="" BootImageID="" Mandatory=""/></ClientIDReply>

]LOG]!><time="15:05:09.346-330" date="07-07-2014" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="13592" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:6544">

<![LOG[08:00:27:61:59:79, BF2ACCDD-1455-E149-963C-9A845B9C111E: no advertisements found]LOG]!><time="15:05:09.346-330" date="07-07-2014" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="13592" file="database.cpp:483">

<![LOG[08:00:27:61:59:79, BF2ACCDD-1455-E149-963C-9A845B9C111E: No boot action. Aborted.]LOG]!><time="15:05:09.441-330" date="07-07-2014" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="13592" file="database.cpp:483">

<![LOG[08:00:27:61:59:79, BF2ACCDD-1455-E149-963C-9A845B9C111E: Not serviced.]LOG]!><time="15:05:09.441-330" date="07-07-2014" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="13592" file="database.cpp:483">

<![LOG[Client boot action reply: <ClientIDReply><Identification Unknown="0" ItemKey="16777219" ServerName=""><Machine><ClientID/><NetbiosName/></Machine></Identification><PXEBootAction LastPXEAdvertisementID="" LastPXEAdvertisementTime="" OfferID="" OfferIDTime="" PkgID="" PackageVersion="" PackagePath="" BootImageID="" Mandatory=""/></ClientIDReply>

]LOG]!><time="15:05:09.705-330" date="07-07-2014" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="13592" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:6544">

<![LOG[08:00:27:61:59:79, BF2ACCDD-1455-E149-963C-9A845B9C111E: no advertisements found]LOG]!><time="15:05:09.705-330" date="07-07-2014" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="13592" file="database.cpp:483">

Hi anyweb,

First, thanks for great articles. They have really helped us get our SCCM infrastructure in and running. I am at the point where WSUS is running smoothly and am about to try and do the WDS migration from one of our old win 2008 R2 boxes but I am a bit stuck. I only have 1 SCCM server and it's going to hold all roles (we only have 150 users). I have added the DP and configured it as best I can. I have made sure that the servername is a member of local admins but I don't have any boot images present. Also if I look at my folder structure there are folders in the right place (SMSPKGE$ and SMSSIG$) as well as a 'RemoteInstall' folder but they don't contain anything useful. Have I missed a step where se import the boot images? I have tried to remove the DP as well as WDS and then re-add it (I let WDS install automatically).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if I look under Dist Status/DP COnfig status I have all success messages (6 in total). I have enabled PXE and Multicast although I don't think this is crucial to get boot images. Hopefully it's something simple!

Cheers,

Chris

To get the boot images on the DP, select Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution in the Data Source tab of the boot image properties. Also, make sure to distribute the boot image to the DP.

Hi Peter, thanks for the response. This is the first (and only) DP and the boot images are not listed so there is nothing for me to select. It is the primary site server, we only have one for SCCM and one for SCOM.

Any idea's.

P.S. I remember getting a lot of scripting help from your site a lifetime ago! Edit, not that was robvanderwoude sorry :)

Cheers,

Chris

What's in a firstname...

I'm sorry, but I don;t understand what you're saying. The boot images are not listed on the distribution point? If so, then distribute them to it, as they have to be there.

First Thanks for all the info here. Question: Using my lab which is SCCM 2012 R2 CU3, do I still use OSDPreserveDriveLetter when using Build and Capture for a Windows 7 x64 image? I am using Build and Capture with a VMWare setup. Also, what is the best example to use to push a build to a VMWare machine. I am going to build the Windows 7 x64, but I am not sure how out of date your examples are since I am using R2 instead of SP1.

Thanks

Hi guys

I can PXE boot a physical laptop just fine but for some reason my hyper v VM reboots just after the checking networks screen, im guessing i need to add the hyper v vm network drivers to the boot image but im not sure what driver it is i actually need? The VM is running on a dell laptop

Any ideas?

no driver needed, if it's a gen 1 hyperv vm then you must use a legacy network card in the vm instead of a regular network card.

First off, THANK YOU! This tutorial series is amazing and well done.

I'm having a problem with OSD and Windows 7 x86. I believe I followed all the steps carefully, and my guest VM is able to PXE and display the password form. Once I click that however, I'm getting an error that says 0x80004005 and a message about failing to access the policy for the client. The smspxe.log doesn't seem to show any errors or warnings. I've attached the error message and a screen capture of the smspxe.log. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! - Dave

post-9400-0-02726500-1430519543_thumb.png

post-9400-0-06051600-1430519554_thumb.png

• Like 1

First off, THANK YOU! This tutorial series is amazing and well done.

thanks !

please attach your smsts*.log file so we can figure out the issue

Hello and Thank you for this tutorial. It's been extremely helpful.

I'm stuck right now on Step 3 of part 7. It states to right click on the Boot Images so we can enable PXE. At what point did we even create the Boot Images and how did we import the Boot Images? What were the steps? Also I'm in the Add Boot Image Wizard and I've created an x64 boot.wim from Winpe using dism and I entered the path to the boot.wim but the "Select a Boot Image from the specified WIM file" field remains blank and it has a red exclamation point beside it. It will not populate. Can you help out with this? Maybe I've missed something.

the boot images are created when you install ConfigMgr, are you saying you had none present ?

Hi there,

I am trying to install Windows 7 on a physical machine from SCCM 2012 R2. As soon after the computer finishes loading the boot.wim file the following error is popping up

Your PC needs to restart.

Please hold down the power button.

Error Code: 0x000000C4

This is a problem im having with the Dell Optiplex GX620.

I can install windows 7 via a USB drive with no problem.

I can also install windows via SCCM on laptops. But not this model of Dell Optiplex.

I dont see any problems in SMSPXE.log:

Client boot action reply: <ClientIDReply><Identification Unknown="0" ItemKey="2046820353" ServerName=""><Machine><ClientID>3ad3a965-a38a-47bf-bfed-3269364f0ff9</ClientID><NetbiosName/></Machine></Identification><PXEBootAction LastPXEAdvertisementID="" LastPXEAdvertisementTime="" OfferID="AN12000D" OfferIDTime="25.11.2015 10:17:00" PkgID="AN100010" PackageVersion="" PackagePath="http://AGAVSCCM01 SMSPXE 06.01.2016 13:19:53 3048 (0x0BE8)

Any tips?

more than likely it's missing sata (storage) or network drivers in the boot image you are booting from and as a result, it reboots with no error message, i'd suggest you take a look at this post to easily find out what the issue is,

cheers

niall

Thanks for your reply. The issue was that SCCM used the x64 boot image even tho the machine does not support it. So i changed to the x86 boot image on all Task Sequences then it worked perfectly.

I'm having problems using VMware Fusion 8 Pro to build and capture windows 7. I can start the task sequence but when it should start capturing the operating system, because the boot image failed to use any of the drivers that are injected, the task sequence fail because it doens't have network.

Does anyone has the drivers for nic e1000 ?!