pnyce24

SCCM 2012 Migration From SCCM 2007

Primary server and SQL server along with DP's are all hosted on vmware virtual machines, i have never had issues with the 2008 installation, just followed the wizard. I would recommned that you install it with the default instance intact and then add a dedicated SCCM instance on top of it, there have been indexing issues in past release when not keeping the default instance intact. I should correct myself that we are using SQL 2008 R2 SP2 with no CU.

Also as an added tip, when you create your boundary groups, use one group for site assignment, and create a seperate boundary grp for distribution points

Thanks

Both my Primary server and SQL server will be running on VMWare VM's. However, as for your DP's, are you hosting that data on a separate VM?

Thanks

Paul

At our Core backend "Data Center" we have a Primary Site Server VM and an SQL Server VM:

TEST-SCCM-A (Hosts Primary Site Server, Source files and folders, and acts as the distribution point for our Data Center)

- Contains a System partitition

- Contains SCCM Data Partition

TEST-SQL-A (Hosts the SQL Database for SCCM)

- Contains a System Partition

- Contains SQL Data Partition

At our Secondary Sites / Schools:

We run one Dell server at each site running VMware, each server hosts two VM's, a Domain Controller (DC), and a File Server (FS). We leverage the file server for the SCCM Distribution point:

TEST-DC (Local DC)

TEST-FS (Acts as the file server for the school, PXE Services, Distribution Point)

- Contains a DATA partition for Staff / Student access

- Contains SCCM Data Partition

On each server we use the NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE file to control where the package repository stores its data, we place this file on any partitions present on any of the servers (including removable drives, if present) that will NOT be hosting SCCM Data. This ensures our package repository is always on the same drive.

Does that answer your questions?

You can always upgrade a stand alone primary site to a CAS hierarchy with SP1.

"More flexible hierarchy management with support to expand a stand-alone primary site into a hierarchy that includes a new central administration site, and the migration of a Configuration Manager SP1 hierarchy to another Configuration Manager SP1 hierarchy."

//K

Question here... I know a CAS really isn't needed unless you are going to have a ton of nodes. But what about this scenario:

LegacyForest A

LegacyForest B

NewForest C

Both LegacyForest A and B have their own SCCM 2007 deployments. We are looking to install a new 2012 deployment into Forest C and migrate everything into that. Before we can get all machines and such migrated into the new forest we want to manage both the the legacy and new forests with the 2012 deployment. Would it be better to install a Primary Site server into NewForest C then have it manage the Legacy forests with DPs or would it be better to run a CAS in NewForest C with primary site servers at in each LegacyForest? As a note we have 2 way trusts between LegacyForest A and NewForest C as well as with NewForest C and LegacyForest B.

Thanks!

Josh Schofield

JSchofield22.wordpress.com