papagolf

Application download hangs

I've made some progress on this but now I'm stuck!

All of our head office connections are connected into the back of Mitel 5224 IP phones and are on a client vlan.

I've found that when the clients are plugged into the back of the phone then office will not download.

If the clients are plugged into the switch directly on the same VLAN then office will download perfectly.

Any suggestions as to why the client will not download the office package if it is plugged into the back of a phone?

This worked fine in sccm 2007

I’ve made some strange discoveries today.

The issue is not phone related, it's network speed related.

If I plug a client into a switch directly with all settings set to auto negotiate then the client will download Office, link speed is 1Gb Full Duplex.

If the port speed is limited to 100Mb Full Duplex at the client and the switch then the Office download fails.

The phones are only capable of providing 100Mb Full Duplex connections to the client PC.

I obviously cannot ask a user to recable their PC just to install Office!

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Complete shot in the dark here...i have had flakey issues in the past if STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) was enabled on my switch...something to check and like i say shot in the dark. By design STP should not be interferring with this at all...but like i said in our case it was, i didnt find a relevent reason to investigate the issue further as it turned out we upgrade many of our situations at the onset of the problem.

I've tried disabling spanning tree and any error correction stuff on the switch, nothing makes a difference. All BITS policies are removed, there's nothing weird on the computers either.

I can deploy any other application I want to these machines, Office 2013 etc with no issue, as soon as I try Office 2010 it just hangs on ProWW.msi

I just can't grasp why this works fine if the machines run 1000/FDX and fails at 100/FDX