gsankowsky

Managing Updates - Best Practice?

Hi All,

I'm an SCCM noob, but have fumbled around with 2012 and have got it running ok so far.

I am having trouble with the organization of updates. I am fine with deployment, integrating scup etc......This is more of an "organisational issue"

Before SCCM we had our WSUS set to auto-download and apply updates to workstations, with servers requiring admin to apply.

My big issue is that I have a network with 90% Windows 7 x64 SP1, 10% x86 and a few 2008 R2 servers.

When I go to choose new updates deploy there is just so many. I want to ditch everything that doesn't apply to the above versions of windows for a start.

Secondly what is best way to group updates, 1 large single deployment for "catch up", then a new deployment every patch Tuesday? I have heard it is best to not have too many updates in a deployment?

My end goal is the most "work" I would like to do is come patch Tuesday, grab all the new updates and deploy - without somehow seeming to get stuff from 2006 or Windows 7 beta thrown in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

I setup separate ADR's for XP, 7, Office, and Endpoint. Endpoint checks for updates every few hours and the rest only update on patch Tuesday. The ADR will keep new machines compliant and will only apply new updates once a month. You can go through each deployment and remove beta and service packs if you like. The post below should help.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5956-software-updates-automate-it-guide/page__hl__updates