Hi guys,

I've got an issue that I'd like to run by you if I may?

I deployed a CAS to a Windows 2008 R2 server and used the default instance on a SQL 2008 R2 SP2 server. This worked just fine with SPNs registered for both FQDN and NETBIOS.

The issue arises when I try to use a named SQL instance on the same server as the default instance to deploy a Primary server to. The installer reports that it is unable to hit this server and given that the default instance is using Port 1433, I can see why.

How do I prep this instance for SCCM and install the primary to it?

Thanks,

Ian.

You will have to configure the instance to use a static port, this can be done from "SQL Server Configuration Manager"

1. Open your instance

2. Open the properties for "Named Pipes" and change enabled to "Yes"

3. Open the properties for "TCP/IP" and click on "IP Addresses"

4. For every IP interface change the "TCP Port" field to your chosen static port

5. For the "IPAll" Interface change the value of the "TCP Port" field to your chosen Static Port

6. Ensure the "TCP Dynamic Ports" field is blank.

7. Restart your SQL services for the named instance

Document the Port number and allow it through your firewalls where applicable.

You should now be able to install the primary server to it

Let me know if you have further questions

• Like 1

Question: Regarding to the Port 1433.

We had installed Configuration Manager 2012 R2 to point to the same Database server as Service Manager, but on a different Instance. It come to find out that both SM and CM using Port 1433 is a no go. How would I go about chaing Configuration Manager to point to a new port if i assign it port 1434?

Or is it better to just create a new database server for CM and some how to tell it to point to the new Database Server?

Thanks,

Yeah, that's what I thought as well too. Client just so happen to have started the process this way. Luckily this environment is fairly new build, so worse case we could do a rebuild. But to avoid that, if we back up the instance and install SQL on the same Site Server, How do i tell CM to point to the new DB?

Sorry, yes it was working until they realized Service Manager had gone down after Configuration Manager was installed. After looking through what was going on, they saw that both SM and CM was trying to use port 1433 and for Service Manager, that is not a configurable port.

Thanks Garth and quick responses! Doing a site recovery could do the trick for them, and you're right, it is best to have SQL on same site server anyway especially if its stand alone.