Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
mshicks

OSD No assigned task sequence

Recommended Posts

The back story. We are moving from Zenworks to SCCM 2012 so I have limited experience with SCCM and only on 2012.

 

I am having a re-occurring issue with OSD and re imaging machines repeatedly, in this case a VMware Workstation booted via task sequence media. When the machine contacts the SCCM server it comes back and says that there are no assigned task sequences. I checked the smsts.log and I copied the bios guid and created a collection query to make sure that there were no duplicate bios guid and it only found one device with that bios guid. I did the same for the mac address and no duplicates were found there as well.

 

I have noticed the behavior that when a device is re-imaged SCCM will create a new object for the machine. I researched this a little and it seems to be caused by the installation of the client on the workstation that is being re-imaged. It then takes the old object and marks it as obsolete. To me this seems counter productive in the sense that this new object does not retain any of the previous object membership rules and will not be a member of the same collections that the obsolete object was. Of course this doesn't apply to query based collections only direct membership.

 

I have made sure to delete all the obsolete and unknown devices from my site and we have not rolled the client out to existing workstations. Because of that I have a very limited number of devices. I can see that the device listed in the smsts.log by its bios guid is in a collection that has a task sequence assigned to it so I am lost on why this is happening. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Here is the smsts.log file from the vm.

vmtestsmsts.log

 

Here is a look at the device properties in the console

post-17423-0-98870800-1348682313_thumb.png

 

Here is a screen shot of the log showing the CM Unique ID

post-17423-0-82093900-1348682443_thumb.png

 

and Here is a screen shot showing the deployments to the device

post-17423-0-06493700-1348682527_thumb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you try clearing Required PXE deployments on the object? Seems that SCCM recongizes the object and does not want to deploy another sequence to the object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove the object from the collection where the advertisment resides via direct membership, re-add the computer after you have updates the collection membership and you clearly se that the computer is no longer a member of the collection. God luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...