I am trying to build and capture a Windows 7 Ent x64 System (SCCM 2007 R3)

I have created the OS image etc and the TS using the SCCM wizard.

When my system reboots at the end of the TS I am greeted with the message:

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

The system I am trying to image needs additional mass storage device drivers that I have added to the boot image and are working (I can hit F8 and see the hard drive in DISKPART).

I have also tried adding them to the TS (Apply Driver Package) but still the same error.

Please help me troubleshoot this.

I have read that using the RTM installation is not recommended but others say it will work?

Thanks

Andy

If it is a build and capture then you have to set up an OS installer and point it to the full source files...with an OS image setup you just need the wim file without all other files......

You say that after the TS finishes(at what stage does it finish?) it produces this error.....but does it not try and capture it after it has built the OS?

Ok, you mean an 'Operating System Install Package' ?

Yes, I have created one and it's data source is pointing at the W7 x64 Ent RTM install files.

My TS currently has the capture steps disabled as I want to get the build process working first, then customize the image build steps before moving on to capture.

I couldnt figure out how to add a screen shot here so will type the steps in my TS .... (Mostly as created by the TS wizard)

Build Reference Machine

Restart in Windows PE

Partition Disk 0

Apply Operating System

Mass Storage Device Drivers (Do I need to do this?)

Apply Windows Settings

Apply Network Settings

Apply Device Drivers

Setup Windows and ConfigMgr

Restart Computer

Upon restart at the end is where I get the BOOTMGR is missing error....

OK this is where you are going wrong......The build and capture with all source files is specifically for BUILD&CAPTURE and not just build.......... disabling capture steps will not work thus your missing BOOTMgr...if you want to just build a machine then create an OS image out of just the install.wim from the sources folder and create a new TS this time using an existing image and not the B&C task sequence....the wim file is all that is needed to achieve this...once you have created the OS image.

When you get your B&C working properly and you have your captured custom wim file then you can create a new OS image from this wim file...but for now you could use a standard RTM wim file and see how you get on!!

• Like 1

EDIT: Also just to warn you by just deploying the install.wim from the RTM media will install the OS to the D:\ drive on any machine (this is a major flaw with windows7, apparently windows 8 has overcome this!?)....to get it to install on the C:/ drive of any machine you will have to eventually get a capture TS successfully done...either by the B&C or by a standalone capture media...either way works.

But just for testing carry on for now with the RTM install.wim....then you could install all your custom software and then simply use a capture media TS to capture your custom wim..

OR

If you have all your software packaged then just roll out the install wim(if you cannot get your B&C to work) and then do whatever mods you have to do and capture it.

It is also reccommended that all this is done on a Virtual environment as it will have minimum drivers etc.....thats if you do intend to package model specific drivers?

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, some very useful advice there.

I will set up a VM envirnment (don't have one as yet) and use that for this work.

For now I need to work with this particular system (HP Z620 Workstation) to create an image for it.

I am very close now (after followign your advice) but now am coming accross the age old mass storage device driver issue.

Where in my TS should these be installed ?

Thanks

Andy