I feel i should reply to some inaccuracies in your comments Rocketman

OK this is where you are going wrong......The build and capture with all source files is specifically for BUILD&CAPTURE and not just build.......... disabling capture steps will not work thus your missing BOOTMgr...

This is not correct. We have a number of build and capture task sequences which are effectively split into two - One builds and the second just runs the Capture phase (syspre/prep the SCCM client, captures the WIM). This is to allow for any tweaks or customisations which cannot be easily scripted in the TS. For example, with the XP TS it allows for customising the appearance of the default user profile. You would then push out the second TS as a SD task whcih performce the prep and capture. Its a good method, works well and is supported.

As long as you perform all the steps in the Capture group from the B&C TS, then the WIM you create will be valid to use in an OSD TS

EDIT: Also just to warn you by just deploying the install.wim from the RTM media will install the OS to the D:\ drive on any machine (this is a major flaw with windows7, apparently windows 8 has overcome this!?)....to get it to install on the C:/ drive of any machine you will have to eventually get a capture TS successfully done...either by the B&C or by a standalone capture media...either way works.

This is also not correct - The excellent Hydration kit from Johan Arwidmark, a Microsoft MVP (google Hydration kit if you havent seen it before, it is excellent) simply uses the install.wim from a Windows setup disk without any problems. The OP's problem sounds to me like its due to the OS not being applied to the partition he has designated as the active boot partition. I suspect that making sure the boot partition is active, and using a task sequence variable for the created boot partition which is then referenced in applying the WIM would resolve the boot problem. Additionally, if you ahve a USB pen drive plugged in can cause problems! In fact with XP it will cause all manner of problems trying to use an OSD TS with a pen drive connected.....

Hope this helps.

Hi Mickey

The excellent Hydration kit from Johan Arwidmark, a Microsoft MVP (google Hydration kit if you havent seen it before, it is excellent) simply uses the install.wim from a Windows setup disk without any problems

This sounds good..but what I gather from a quick research is that this installs a fully operational test lab of SCCM/ DCs and MDT? Am I correct in this?

If this is the case what about labs/production environments already with SCCM implemented?? Does this KIT not require to be setup alongside the initial setup of SCCM?

Have you ever just used a standard RTM install.wim from the media and deployed it? I am quite positive you will end up with an OS installed on a D:\ partition! There are numerous bloggs reporting this problem all over the web...and the fix is to B&C or a standard media capture of a previously deployed OS and then deploy the new wim and it will install on the C:\ partition.....SP1 I think resolves this...well for windows 8 deployment..not sure about windows 7 as i have not installed SP1 as of yet..as it is BETA and I have demolished my testing lab(must try this Hydration kit to get a test lab up and going again) :)

Cheers

Hi Mickey

This sounds good..but what I gather from a quick research is that this installs a fully operational test lab of SCCM/ DCs and MDT? Am I correct in this?

If this is the case what about labs/production environments already with SCCM implemented?? Does this KIT not require to be setup alongside the initial setup of SCCM?

Have you ever just used a standard RTM install.wim from the media and deployed it? I am quite positive you will end up with an OS installed on a D:\ partition! There are numerous bloggs reporting this problem all over the web...and the fix is to B&C or a standard media capture of a previously deployed OS and then deploy the new wim and it will install on the C:\ partition.....SP1 I think resolves this...well for windows 8 deployment..not sure about windows 7 as i have not installed SP1 as of yet..as it is BETA and I have demolished my testing lab(must try this Hydration kit to get a test lab up and going again) :)

Cheers

I referenced the Hydration kits, not as a solution for this post, but an example of thousands of people using a standard rtm Install.wim to successfully deploy an OS to the correct destination partition (which i presume you mean by "installed on a D: partition").

If the client hard disk only contains a single partition, then windows would not assign a drive letter D when installing. I think you are getting confused with installing an OS through the UI without manually create the destination partition using shift+F10, in that circumstance the OS installer automatically creates a hidden partition 0 of 100 mb (or more if you are using an EFI device) and then installs the OS to partition 1. In that case, all the boot files are on partition 0 and if you only capture partition 1 then you obviously are going to be missing all the boot files and the resulting OSD TS will not boot.

However, simply applying an install.wim to a drive with only 1 partition causes no problems at all, and does not create any additional partitions (unless your task sequence does) and will boot fine.

Hope this helps/clarifies