c4pp3r

OSD fails to half of computers error 0x80072ee2 and others

Hi guys

I'm pulling my hair out here. Every time I do a Windows 7 OSD to a lab of computers (NOTE: systems are already running with Windows, so OSD deployed via System Centre client as a forced sequence), about half will fail.

Things to mention:

Now, I have never been at a computer as the sequence as failed, so whenever I check a failed system it's always requires me to boot it up with a windows USB boot disk (ie: UBCD). When I do this, the failed PC's C drive only has the "SMSTSLog" folder on it, nothing else.

I use a domain account for the Network Access account. I've even tried with the Domain Admin account and the same issue occurs.

This occurs on both of my OSD sequences which use a different wim file (different PC systems)

If I reboot the system with a SCCM boot disk, or via PXE, and let the task sequence start again (I have "rerun if failed" enabled) the OSD works perfectly, well, the PC loses its AD name and I have to rename it, but that's no biggie.

Running the "History of a task sequence" report, I get the following

PersistContents ), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,1368)
resolvePkgSource(), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,1411)
Apply(), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,1614)
installer.install(), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,1689)
Entering ReleaseSource() for C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\BUN0001A
The user tries to release a source directory C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\BUN0001A that is either already released or we have not connected to it
InstallImage( g_InstallPackageID, g_ImageIndex,targetVolume, ImageType_OS, g_ConfigPackageID,g_ConfigFileName, bOEMMedia ), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\applyos.cpp,470)
Installation of image 1 in package BUN0001A failed to complete..
The system cannot find the file specified. (Error:80070002; Source: Windows)

SMSTS log attached

smsts.log

Seems to me you need to check that all clients can access the file "Failed to run the last action: Install Dell 780 Image. Execution of task sequence failed.

The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="08:01:22.593-660" date="10-07-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1936" file="engine.cxx:214"

have you double checked your Network Access Account that's it's set and set correctly ?

<![LOG[GetDirectoryListing() successfully completed]LOG]!><time="07:56:28.595-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="1" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:579">

<![LOG[succeeded loading resource DLL 'X:\sms\bin\i386\1033\TSRES.DLL']LOG]!><time="07:56:28.595-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="1" thread="1192" file="util.cpp:910">

<![LOG[401 - Authentication failure on request with anonymous access, retrying with context credentials.]LOG]!><time="07:56:28.610-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1484">

<![LOG[401 - Authentication failure on request with context credentials, retrying with supplied credentials.]LOG]!><time="07:56:28.642-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1489">

<![LOG[WinHttpReadData(hRequest, (LPVOID)pszOutBuffer, dwSize, &dwRead), HRESULT=80072ee2 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\tscore\downloadcontent.cpp,1006)]LOG]!><time="07:59:25.858-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1006">

<![LOG[ReadDataAndWriteToFile() failed with 0x80072ee2 when downloading 0% of file C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\BUN0001A\780finalcomp.wim]LOG]!><time="07:59:25.858-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="3" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1037">

<![LOG[ReadDataAndWriteToFile(hRequest, ullFileSize, hFile, sDestination, ulTotalSizeRequired, ulDownLoaded), HRESULT=80072ee2 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\tscore\downloadcontent.cpp,1537)]LOG]!><time="07:59:25.858-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1537">

<![LOG[Download() failed with 0x80072ee2]LOG]!><time="07:59:25.858-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="3" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1543">

<![LOG[DownloadFile(sSourceFile, sDestinationFile, ulTotalSizeRequired, ulDownLoaded, bUseSSL), HRESULT=80072ee2 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\tscore\downloadcontent.cpp,1596)]LOG]!><time="07:59:25.858-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1596">

<![LOG[Error downloading file from http://myserver.myserver.com.au:80/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/BUN0001A/sccm?/780finalcomp.wim to C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\BUN0001A\780finalcomp.wim ]LOG]!><time="07:59:25.858-660" date="10-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="3" thread="1192" file="downloadcontent.cpp:1596">

Is it the same PCs that are failing or different PCs all the time from that collection?

I'm pulling my hair out here. Every time I do a Windows 7 OSD to a lab of computers (NOTE: systems are already running with Windows, so OSD deployed via System Centre client as a forced sequence), about half will fail.

From your symptoms (half will fail) then I gather the others are successful....then it may be some underlying problem with your internal network/PCs hardware??

Have you tried to isolate these problematic PCs into a seperate test collection and try the same TS out to them?? (See if any of them are successful)??

OneOne: Boundaries are fine from what I can see Also, my collections a split into rooms, so the PCs I image are always on the same subnet. if it were boundaries the whole room would fail I presume?

Anyweb: Network Access account is fine (currently set to Domain Admin, but I have tried others too).

Rocket: That's right. Half fail, half succeed. I doubt it's H/W related because if I run the task again on the the failed systems, the OSD completes successfully with the exact same settings, Network account and boundaries as when they failed. the ONLY difference is that on the second turn I initiate the OSD via PXE or a USB boot disk, whereas the initial OSD is initiated from within Windows and the SCCM client.

If possible....... but isolate the problematic PCs(if you can remember which ones failed) into a seperate collection and push it out to the live OS.......just to rule out that there is nothing weird happening on your network(connectivity issues.etc) at time of OSD to full collection.

I doubt it is Boundary related nor NetAccess account related if some pass and some fail and all machines are on the same subnet/physical LAN/switch....if it was either BG or Net Account then it can only be assumed that all would fail.....right?

Just out of curiosity....Are all machines same model that are in this collection??