c4pp3r

OSD fails to half of computers error 0x80072ee2 and others

have you verified they have the required network drivers added via an apply driver package step (you can bring up a command prompt around the time of failure and type ipconfig, any valid ip address ? can you ping the fqdn of the managment point ?)

the OSD works perfectly, well, the PC loses its AD name and I have to rename it, but that's no biggie.

Ok so you rename them also because of the above after they have failed and you then PXE boot them to get them imaged.......are there any entries like MININT-XXXXXX in all systems/AD.....it could also be that there is a duplicate entry for these PCs MAC addresses...

Does the new naming of the computers update in AD or is the old names present there also?

Sorry for the lack of reply.

anyweb: Yep, the drivers are all right.

Rocket: Most of these MININT named PCs will rename and join the Domain just fine and take over their original AD account. Only a tiny number will give me a duplicate name error so I then have to delete the computer from AD and then rename the MINIT one and re-join.

NOTE: I haven't had a chance to do my test yet, planninto at the start of Nov (got a few straight days with no users!)

Hi ,

Would be interested if you came up with a cause /solution for your problems as we are experiencing the same problem.

for example: Building 10 Machines and 6 or 7 randomly fail in different places .. and 3 or 4 will build successfully.

Build the same 10 machines again and have the same ratio of failure but not on the same machines.

Using Dell , different makes and models. (780's 790's E6320's E6400's E4310's)

I am also interested if any has come up with a solution for this as I'm having a similar problem but I've narrowed it down a bit more.

It seems that my clients start the download fine and either finish the download without problems or some just fail after a random percentage has been downloaded. Here are some error log entries from an OSD client that failed:

ReadDataAndWriteToFile() failed with 0x80072efe when downloading 27% of file C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\ISD0002A\Windows.7.x64.Thick.Basic.wim ApplyOperatingSystem 2/12/2013 1:36:00 PM 1472 (0x05C0)

DownloadFile failed. 80072efe. ApplyOperatingSystem 2/12/2013 1:36:00 PM 1472 (0x05C0)

Error downloading file from http://XXXXX.XXXXXXX.local:80/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/ISD0002A/sccm?/Windows.7.x64.Thick.Basic.wim to C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\ISD0002A\Windows.7.x64.Thick.Basic.wim ApplyOperatingSystem 2/12/2013 1:36:00 PM 1472 (0x05C0)

Notice it failed at 27%, some fail at 25%, others at 89%, and some don't fail at it. It's important to remember these computers are the same model, in the same room, same switch. I downloaded the file directly from a browser, using http://XXXXX.XXXXXXX.local:80/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/ISD0002A/sccm?/Windows.7.x64.Thick.Basic.wim, and the first time I did it it downloaded the file. On the second try it failed after only getting ~20% of the file.

Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions. What other log files can I look in? Could it be an issue with IIS?

Hi there, I just wanted to bump this to say I just starting experiencing this as well. My system has been running fine for approx. 3 weeks and then all of a sudden this starts happening.

SCCM 2012 SP1 running on Windows Server 2012 + all Windows updates

Primary Site Server - Windows Server 2012

SQL Server - SQL Server 2012

34 Distribution Points - Windows Server 2012

The whole system has been working amazing, then I start getting calls about OSD not working. It seems to have broken on multiple DPs with the error code 0x80072EE2. This is across multiple locations on multiple networks. I don't know if it's broken on all DPs but there have been reports from multiple locations. Imaging will fail at a random % with error code 0x80072EE2 which seems to reference a "network connection failed" type message.

I haven't been able to track down the culprit yet so if anyone has a suggestion, it would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Had problems myself since my previous posts......have a single PS at a single site which will eventually branch off to multiple remote DPs.....Have not got a successful lab imaged as of yet, some bomb out and others image fine, but hit a major blackspot in a couple of labs, couldnt get really anything to work. It is a quite an intricate network with mutiple VLANs, and what I found just today is that spanning tree was enabled on switches that caused quite a few problems including getting clients to PXE. Got onto the network guys and got it disabled and since that all clients that could not PXe starting to PXE again.

Have not got around to the other labs yet to see if it has made any difference to clients bombing out half way through imaging but hopefully it can only help. maybe spanning tree could be a possibility?

I checked with our network guys and we do run spanning tree, but what really bothers me is that this was a working setup up until yesterday. It's been running really well for at least 3 weeks and out of the blue it craps out like this. I've been working on this all day today with no joy at all. The only thing that is consistant is that the image download will fail at a random % every time with the 0x80072EE2 error. Bummer...

I'll update if I discover anything new. Thanks for the suggestion.