NB2704

SCCM Collection Issues

We have a weird issue with SCCM Collections. Quite often when trying to update membership on collections they will just hang with a egg timer displayed over the collection icon, machines added will not show up in view. Restarting the SCCM services never seems to resolve the issue but a reboot seems to temporarily fix the problem. The issues always comes back resulting in the server requiring another reboot which is a pain. It seems to be coming back more often/ quicker now. Any ideas where I should be looking to see what's going on?

It's SCCM 2007 R2 with SP2.

Hi,

It sounds like you are updating to many collection with to short update interval so that your server can't handle the load. Or you could have a poorly written SQL query that takes to long time to execute, you can troubleshoot collection refresh problems using the Colleval.log file.

Regards,

Jörgen

I will check that log file tomorrow however one of the collections in question is just a simple collection with a Mandatory task sequence advertised to it. We just add and remove machines as and when we need to rebuild them so there isn't really a lot of queries running or machines updating.

Thanks

How often does this happen in a day?

There's an issue where some components might not start up after a database backup. One of the symptoms is collections not updating. Microsoft has a KB for this.

Though to be fair if this was the issue you'd very likely notice it on other things as well (computers not able to communicate with SCCM until a restart, etc).

I've installed some hotfixes which are KB980270, KB2176220, KB981797 and KB2483225. The issue is still present. I've also noticed packages suddenly stop distributing with no sort of pattern, under closer inspection when the issue arises there are several components when queried under ConfigMgr Service Manager stuck in a Starting state. Restarting SCCM services does not resolve this and the box has to be rebooted. I can't find any errors in various log files I've checked. Any more input from you guys would be appreciated?