gsankowsky

abortpxe.com and Mandatory OSD installs

Hi Everyone,

From my understanding, if you advertise a mandatory OSD, say Windows 7 to a computer it installs, then marks it with a "PXE Flag".

If you set a computers boot order to boot network first, then it should abortpxe.com quickly - as it has no OSD's to apply?

What I am finding is that it doesn't try to run the OSD again, the network boot times out and eventually loads windows off the disk.

However at my Uni, I notice their machines always boot networks, and they always get abortpxe.com coming up real quick.

I have set the pxe response time to 2 seconds......is there anything else I need to do, or is it functioning as normal?

Cheers

Greg

Hi,

Cheers for that.

Yes - they would have higher spec gear....but not by alot.

We use Cisco 2960-S with 10gb back to the core, 1 hop to core, and server is a 10gb Hyper-v server, and cpu/ram util is generally never above 30% ever.

I get a fast response if there is no pxe flag set, it boots into OSD really quick. Just when there is a flag set, instead of the pxeabort.com it times out.

I'll give those DHCP options a go.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Everyone,

From my understanding, if you advertise a mandatory OSD, say Windows 7 to a computer it installs, then marks it with a "PXE Flag".

If you set a computers boot order to boot network first, then it should abortpxe.com quickly - as it has no OSD's to apply?

What I am finding is that it doesn't try to run the OSD again, the network boot times out and eventually loads windows off the disk.

However at my Uni, I notice their machines always boot networks, and they always get abortpxe.com coming up real quick.

I have set the pxe response time to 2 seconds......is there anything else I need to do, or is it functioning as normal?

Cheers

Greg

How did you set the advertisment? "always rerun" "Rerun if previosly failed" ect ect... ?

Hi,

Settings were:

Action: Install

Purpose: Required

(YES) Make available to boot media and PXE

Rerun if failed previous attempt

I just don't get why it isn't going to abortpxe.com instead of timing out. I thought the whole idea was you set to boot off network. If there is no pxe flag then it installs. If there is a pxe flag then it returns abortpxe.com and continues off the HDD>

Cheers

Sort of,

Message at PXE boot screen is:

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

This is after a mandatory OSD.

If the PXE flag is clears it responds with a new install very quickly, but this timeout takes 20-30 secs - it seems like it's not deploying abortpxe.com as the alternative if the PXE flag is set??