h4x0r

SCCM 2012 > issues with ReportServer_log.LDF size

We’ve been using SCCM 2012 since its release without any major issues, but I noticed today that we’re fast running out of room on the partition we have SQL2008 R2 installed on, and that the culprit was ReportServer_log.ldf. It is currently 145GB and growing, and nothing I have tried has reduced its size. So far I have changed the recovery node to Simple, performed a backup (which I thought was supposed to flush LDF files?), and performed a Shrink (file based) on our ReportServer DB (though I can't find any listing of ReportServer_log.LDF when using MS SQL Server Management Studio, and it reports that our ReportServer DB is only ~45MB). Any SCCM/SQL gurus out there that could offer some insight into how I can reduce its size, AND keep it from getting this large in the future? Is there a way to pull up/modify the LDF file from the Management Studio?

Thanks for any input...I'm at a complete loss here!

I was able to get this resolved with a little help from some friends. Turns out that the size limit for my ReportServer_log.ldf file was over 2TB. Using the SQL Management Studio I was able to go in and change the log file size, and size cap (ReportServer DB . Right-click > Properties > Files ).

I had this issue and was unable to shrink the file. The file was near 300GB and only 1.5GB Drive space left. I do not understand why the process requires space to shrink the file, but when I created space and tried to shrink it just ate that space up someone on the drive.

Changing the recovery mode to "simple" resolved my issue immediately and reduced the file size to a few MB's.

One thing I'd like to know is why this doesn't seem to get backed up using the SCCM backup maintenance. Does it simply get rebuilt during install when doing a full site recovery?

You are correctly the Reporting database is NOT backup by CM12/CM07 backup task. Yes it will restore all default reports when you restore your site. However you should note that all custom reports will be lost if you don’t back them up.

If you like you can automated this task by adding the SSRS backup into the After backup batch file.

• Like 1

I was able to get this resolved with a little help from some friends. Turns out that the size limit for my ReportServer_log.ldf file was over 2TB. Using the SQL Management Studio I was able to go in and change the log file size, and size cap (ReportServer DB . Right-click > Properties > Files ).

Thanks for posting this. My DB was already set to 'simple' backup, but was at 160GB in size :|

I've changed it to 1GB max now and it dropped instantly.

Cheers.

A year later and I run into the same problem at another site. To help myself out again this time next please note that you may have to manually run a full backup to allow the change in the maximum file size. Otherwise you will end up with the "FILEGROWTH cannot be greater than MAXSIZE" error.