anyweb

setup a windows 2003 RIS server in 3 easy steps

Question

here's a guide I put together to teach you how to setup a RIS server in 3 easy steps.

Note: this download is for Windows 2003 Server GOLD (ie: no service pack's installed yet)

setup_a_ris_server_in_3_easy_steps.pdf

and this download is for Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 1

setting_up_a_windows_2003_SP1_server_as_a_RIS_server.pdf

any questions ? just ask

cheers

anyweb

10 answers to this question

i got two baremetal PC.. i have to do ZTI installation through thousands PC at my office. Sooo, i decide to make a lab, to practice the ZTI.

at the first time, i install server 2003 sp1 at the first PC. and for the second PC, im planning to install vista on it and then make the image using bdd, and then store it in sms at PC #1.

problem arise when im completing server 2003 installation. what should i do next?!?! i follow your pdf instruction. in your pdf, the first thing to do is configuring Domain Controller (Active directory). when i do what u say, server 2003 give me warning about tcp/ip configuration.. ur pdf did not cover that matter.. so what should i do next anyweb? please answer this question ASAP

btw, this is the warning messages

The TCP/IP Networking protocol must be properly configured in order to proceed. Complete the configuration!

~i'm sorry for my bad english. english is not my native language, but i hope all of u can understand what i write :D

at page 2, last paragraph u wrote

click next a few times to continue and select the following configuration in the screenshot below

and then at page 3, u show d05ca330ebb9e4e6b5b16ac7a19d06b0.gif

but i never got to that screen shot.. what i got is that warning messages that i write before.

thank thanks thanks.. :D :D :D

i see the problem now, the document above is for Windows 2003 Server with no service pack installed, I have installed SP1 on a fresh install today and am currently updating the documentation to be Sp1 friendly, this will take some time so be patient

cheers

anyweb

anyweb, in your newest pdf, page 29 why do u tell us to "Insert the Windows XP SP2 VLK cd, and Tell windows where the XP cd is goingto be (in this case

drive F:)"

what is this step mean?

another question: i already follow all of your step in newest pdf, except page 29 and so on. now i want to connect my another computer to the server that i recently build, but i cant join domain. what's wrong with that?

that part of the step is required for RIS, part of risetup involves copying the I386 files/folders from an operating system cd, in my example we use a windows XP service pack 2 cd (vlk) the vlk means it's a volume license key cd.

finish the complete setup as described in the guide then make sure to reboot

joining the domain should be easy as long as you know the domain name and administrator password...

that part of the step is required for RIS, part of risetup involves copying the I386 files/folders from an operating system cd, in my example we use a windows XP service pack 2 cd (vlk) the vlk means it's a volume license key cd.

finish the complete setup as described in the guide then make sure to reboot

joining the domain should be easy as long as you know the domain name and administrator password...

hmm, what will happen if im not copying that i386 files?

fyi, i already making vista n office image using bdd, i make unattended files with windows sim. and i succesfully deploy that build withh bdd 2007 to one baremetal pc.. thx for your guide anyweb, but i still get confused about installing sms 2003. i will be appreciate if u make the sms how to asap. :D :D :D