pgamblin

Dell Latitude E6430 xp - Failed to Join network on TS

Question

Hi

I'm having issues with creating a working OSD/TS sequence for the dell latitude E6430.

I have downloaded the cab file from dell and injected into a new driver file and package which has been distributed to my various dp's.

In the task sequence i've create a new section for this model and added the apply driver package source and set it to the correct package.

The symptoms are it boots and pulls down the wim file and starts to deploy the win xp image, this registers a valid network address and runs through the pre task sequence package absolutely fine.

However after the first reboot where it attempts to start windows it fails to join the network, under further investigation it would appear that the network card is not loaded.

If you let the OS deployment continue it performs a few more reboots before erroring that the task sequence failed.

I have debugged the attached log to suggest it cant find the network and can confirm that no ip address or installed adapters exist when the machine boots into windows - if left to continue it will boot to vanilla xp (no drivers) then i can see that none of the drivers in the cab file are applied.

Attached is the SMSTS.log if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Paul

ZTIGather.log

OSD Current TaskSequence.xml

Pxe lite pre-cache packages for OSD.xml

smsts-20121015-111526.log

2 answers to this question

Just to add i did find one reference to this problem which advised the following steps:

Cause: This is caused by a missing NIC driver in the Windows installation. Either the NIC driver was missing or not available during the driver injection (Apply Device Drivers, Auto Apply Drivers, or Apply Driver Package tasks) of the Task Sequence and driver installation portion of Windows Setup. Because of this reason, the PC has no network connectivity, cannot join the domain, and the Task Sequence eventually fails. However, a NIC driver was present as part of the WinPE Boot Image, which allowed the deployment to get far along enough in the deployment process where it dropped the image down on the PC.

Resolution: To correct the problem follow the steps below:

1) Make sure that the appropriate NIC drivers for the model PC, Windows OS version, and architecture have been imported into the Operating System Deployment --> Drivers node in the SCCM 2007 Admin console.

2) Make sure that the imported NIC drivers from step 1 have been added to a Driver Package under the Operating System Deployment --> Driver Packages node in the SCCM 2007 Admin console.

3) Make sure that the Driver Package from step 2 has been copied to distribution points (DPs) that are accessible to the PC during the OSD Task Sequence deployment.

4) If using the "Apply Driver Package" task in the Task Sequence, make sure that Driver Package that contains the NIC driver is selected in the "Apply Driver Package" task next to the field "Driver Package". If filtering Driver Package by model using WMI queries under the Options tab of the "Apply Driver Package" task, ensure that the WMI query is correct and you choose the correct model PC.

I did try this but it appears to have the same issue, To test things further i also used the extracted CAB file to install the missing drivers so i know they are present and correct.

Are you sure that this model's NIC driver is injected into the boot.wim?

I have seen this before and all be said I found it a bit strange especially when it was able to PXE boot and install the OS....but after a reboot it failed as the NIC driver was not installed and the TS could not connect to the DP share to install any further software. A simple load into the OS after failure and an update device driver from device manager and point it to the Driver Package on the DP proved that the package was good.

A reference taken to the manufacturer of the NIC driver and a check in the driver pool and an injection of this driver into the boot.wim solved this problem for me.

I say this was strange as it did PXE boot fine before this injection...but obviously it must of used a different driver from my previously injected winPE3.0 bundle and then after the OS install part of the TS and restart it lost it's connection as it was not the correct driver...it even did not install the driver package associated with this model with appropriate WMI query before the restart..