anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 8. Deploying Applications

Outstanding site! This site has been a life saver. We have a CAS and two Primary Sites at the moment. I'm wondering if our administrators at each site should be creating packages on the CAS or on their respective primary sites? I guess I'm a little confused as to where the day to day operations should be administered from Primary or CAS? Does it matter if some applications are created on the CAS and some are created on the Primary servers?

I'm using the CAS for everything. Central Administration Site. :) Do use roles to delegate what Your co-workers do winthin the SCCM envoriment.

Thanks for this informative posting, love the screenshots! I now know what our SCCM guy is looking at :) Here's my dilemma… we are in the process of moving all our Apps into SCCM, for the most part it all seems to be working fine, however we are having issues with Autodesk Products.

I’ve been an Autodesk admin for many years now and I’ve created deployments all the time and have not gotten any issues with my deployments even on the laptop I’m using to test SCCM Apps. I’m trying to figure out where the problem is, they’ve taken my deployment from our Autodesk License server and I guess they copy the deployment folder over to SCCM server.

The problem started with the download getting stuck on a percent, that got fixed. It then became a problem where it will get to 100$%, the install will start and then it failed within seconds. Now the latest is…. it goes thru the process of downloading and that takes around 60 minutes or so (3.5 gig, he explained to me why it takes that long), it goes thru the process of installing but it never installs, I’ve left it running overnight and same status, I’ve looked at the task manager and it’s displaying 2 services of the setup.exe (Autodesk).

The main question I have is, has anyone tried and was successful on creating an Autodesk package?

Any feedback will be appreciated

I am trying to deploy an windows 7 operating system image and install applications through the same task. It does the install of the operating system but wont install the apps. it just sits as in progress in config man. I can install the apps to the device collection on their own successfully but when I add them into the deploy os task it does not work.

i have since checked my logs on the client and it seems like the client package is trying to install to d: which does not exist and it is getting an out of space error. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

Thank you for this great informative post. I have a little question about application deployment in sccm 2012.

Is there a way to immediately deploy applications and to get control over this?

What i want is to deploy an application which i already created in sccm 2012. This application needs to be deployed on an agent right away instead of waiting for sccm 2012 for the right time.

you could use client notification to force machine policy retrieval which should do what you want

Any one having trouble detecting 32bit applications on Win7 64 using the standard msi/productcode method?

Our admin is telling us it isn't working right (because ultimately the uninstall regpath is in the redireted wow6432node). They did try the 32bit application check box...

For now we have been providing 2 detection methods for 32bit apps:

productcode for 32bit OS installs and ALSO...

The reg path to the uninstall/ARP key on 64bit OS installs aka HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ProductCode blah blah blah....

We have been reconsidering just scraping the productcode method entirely and just using regpath method (except without the WOW6432Node path). The 32bit app check box will redirect the detection properly thus keeping our documentation and cross OS support (32/64) simpler.

It just shocks me a bit that MS didn't factor in the reg redirection location of 32bit apps in the WOW6432Node paths when performing the basic product code detection method. Are we crazy or is this how it works?

Thanks

I've deployed 7Zip to a group of Windows 8 machines and we noticed an interesting issue today. The app never shows up in Software Center. There are no notifications, etc.

I also noticed that the link to to the Application Catalog is not an active link. This is happening on all of our Windows 8 machines. The Windows 7 machines are working properly.

The link is not active even if I deploy to user collections.

I am trying to deploy an application "FireFox" when logged in with a domain user to a client win7 machine, i am getting an error in Software canter "Loading Software Center returned error code 0x80041001(-2147217407) ."

Not sure which logs i need to check and where to start.

Thanks for the help.