anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 8. Deploying Applications

A friend recommended this site and I can see why. Lots of info here. Thanks for that.

I have an issue I am trying to figure out.

I am trying to deploy an aplication that has a setup.exe that triggers two msi files in succession. One a prerequisite language pack and then the client software. The client will install on its own but will not run without the Language pack already installed.

The problem I am running into is the setup.exe and the prereq msi file are in the same folder.

If I try and point to that folder, it tells me it isn't a valid folder. (It appears to be getting confused since there is an exe and a msi file in the same place)

If I move the setup.exe into another location, it starts but then can't find the prereq msi file.

Is there a way for this to trigger from one App Deployment or will I have to create two seperate ones with a dependency on the Language file?

Thank you.

UPDATE: I figured out what I was doing wrong. Faulty Operator Valve.

Great tutorial, everything work. I have a question. I've seen the application getting downloaded to the client and then installed. Is there a way to prevent that? I have some huge app (like autocad) and I would like them to simply run them from there distribution folder instead. Is there a way to do that? As I recall, I was able to do that with 2007.

Thanks

Quick question about reboots. If a deployment is set to force a reboot (or if MSI returns a code to reboot the machine), is there a way to get the agent to suppress the reboot and then warn the user about the reboot the way a Update Deployment would? I want to prevent the sudden reboot behavior some apps cause when the users manually install them from software center.

Forgive me if I a) missed a previous post, or B) missed something obvious. I'm trying to create a situation where an Application (say, Java 1.7 u 45) is available as an optional install, UNLESS the user already has an older Java 1.7 installed, in which case the install is mandatory. The supersedence option seems to only apply to new installs, rather than existing.

Microsoft's documentation hints at the fact that multiple deployment types could be used to create different types of deployments, but I have been unsuccessful so far.

Am I pushing the limit of what SCCM can do for me, or is it a feasible endeavour to build this setup?

Great article. Although all step-by-step guides I have seen for Application deployment use software with *.MSI files, which is easy as most of the work is done for you, but in the real world, a lot of software does not have an *.MSI installer.

Do you have a guide for Application deployment using a software *.EXE file, where you have to manually enter all the options?

• Like 1

it all depends how you want to deploy and what commands you gonna use to install for the end user.

It is always good to package the app using packaging tools like admin studio etc,this will give you more flexibility to add customisations how you want to deply.

if you still need to install .exe,go with standard package,program creation as we do in cm07.

Hi,

We have an issue where the application doesn't create the relevant foder in the smspkg$ share.

We have succesfully distributed wim files and Software Packages to our distribution point, but no joy with distributing applications. As far as the admin console and the log files on the client are concerned the application has been distributed. We can re-distribute it and validate it etc....but there is no folder relating to the application. Any ideas??????