boundsw

Keep getting error code -3 when trying to deploy software

Hi bound,

sorry, i got the wrong error code from my memory. Just double checked it again.

-3 maens "Required data not found in the Setup.iss file"

I had such a case some month back, where the setup wanted to install a prerequisite, that had been already installed on the machine where the answer file was created. The setup came up with a dialog that was not captured and threw rhis error. The solution was to install the prereq program before the setup as single package.

Peter33

This app does require .net of some version (cant remember off hand) and this does pop up to install if its not already installed. This could be the problem.

Maybe Ive been having 2 issues at the same time.

Im currently re-running the deploy to my win 7 test VM, with the "run from local" option - ill see where this takes make 1st, but it sounds like i might need a new answerfile !

If it requires .Net then you could have the .net executable also in the package and use the Start /Wait script mentioned above so it could be like this:

Start /Wait "%~dp0net4.0.exe /parameters"

Start /Wait "%~dp0setup.exe /s /v /qn /w7x64unattend.iss"

This will install .net 1st and then move onto your main program!! B)

ok, so the "run from local" option is still throwing an error. for some reason SCCM is putting quotes in the wrong place.

If i use the command

CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1w7x64unattend.iss

or

"CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1w7x64unattend.iss"

The errors are as below:

Program started for advertisement "00120023" ("00100040" - "Install Cisco Ironport W7 x64").

Command line: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Cache\00100040.19.System\CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe" /s /v /qn /f1w7x64unattend.iss

Working directory: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Cache\00100040.19.System\

User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

and

The program for advertisement "00120023" failed ("00100040" - "Install Cisco Ironport W7 x64"). A failure exit code of -3 was returned.

Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of -3 is considered a failure.

Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.

See how the switches are being put outside the quotes !

Im going to try the CMD batch file option next

Ok, so im still having this problem !!

I have tried with the cmd file option now aswell, using two ways to ref the answerfile.

pushd %~dp0

CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1"\\<DFSRoot\support$\SCCMDeploy\Cisco Ironport Plugin\w7x64unattend.iss"

popd

exit /b %errorlevel%

pushd %~dp0

CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1w7x64unattend.iss

popd

exit /b %errorlevel%

Both error in the same way

Program started for advertisement "00120023" ("00100040" - "Install Cisco Ironport W7 x64").

Command line: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Cache\00100040.24.System\w7x64setup.cmd"

Working directory: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Cache\00100040.24.System\

and

The program for advertisement "00120023" failed ("00100040" - "Install Cisco Ironport W7 x64"). A failure exit code of -3 was returned.

Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of -3 is considered a failure.

Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.

I have been to the test machine, browsed to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Cache\00100040.24.System\" and ran the secript manually, and the application installs. So i know it 100% works.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Any other ideas here ?

I had not seen that no - thanks for the find ! :)

(This part is now not SCCM related)

Either im having a nighmare, or something is not right. I have extracted the .exe to a folder on c:\ (on the test machine). On the info from "David Simmons" he then states that the msi can be run by using the command:

msiexec.exe /i "msiname.msi" /qn

But this does nothing.

So if I remove the /qn, msiexec compalins as soon as its run : "This installation cannot be run directly launching the MSI package, You must run setup.exe"

arrgghh !

back to the SCCM part.

Why is SCCM adding the quotes in the wrong place ! - any ideas about this?

Thanks so far guys - much appreciated.

Hi Bound,

you can edit the MSI file to get rid of this launch condition.

There is a free MSI editor named Orca. Get it and open the MSI file with, then go to the "LaunchCondition" preperty table and delete the entry. Save the MSI, and you are done.

Edit:

Hope you also did read what he was stating about the custom actions.

"for a silent install. I still had to use an msi editor (installshield) to create a transform to remove two custom actions that were causing errors during the msi installtion: CheckLanguageUpdaterResult and CheckUpdateFeaturesResult. The application still installed correctly before removing those errors, I just needed to remove them so SCCM would not report a failed installation."

Not sure if this can be done easily with Orca. I am using Wise Package Studio for MSI editing, but this is not a free product.

Rocket man.

Yes this version is defo x86 and x64 compatible.

I dont know if its free, ill have to check. Its Cisco Any conenct VPN client for our ASA firewall.

Peter33.

Ok, let me download "Orca" and see what i can do.

yes I did read that part about the silent install, but as I was falling before that hurdle at normal intercative install, i kinda didnt get that far ! :)