boundsw

Keep getting error code -3 when trying to deploy software

ok - update.

Got the package to download to the machine.

Open a cmd window (in admin mode)

Browse to the cache on the test machine.

Run "w7x64setup.cmd"

w7x64setup.cmd is as below :

pushd %~dp0

CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1"w7x64unattend.iss"

popd

exit /b %errorlevel%

In the cmd window I see (at the end of the path)

CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1"w7x64unattend.iss"

popd

exit /b -3

So i change the .cmd file so the .iss answerfile is the one on the SCCM server (not the locally copied down file) - and i get the below when i run it in an elevated cmd window.

CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1"\\DFSRoot\support$\SCCMDeploy\Cisco Ironport Plugin\w7x64unattend.iss"

popd

exit /b -0

and its works.

So i have managed to replicate the problem locally, and see the error code now.

But why cant it see the local file !, in the same path whn using the "pushd %~dp0" command

Im in catch22 now.

SCCM puts the quotes in the wrong place for some strange reason when suing the UNC path to answerfile, and it fails with error -3 (but run locally works)

Using the short answerfile location, SCCM command looks correct, but for some reason the setup does not find the answerfile, and i get error -3 (SCCM and locally run)

and its the same no mater how i ref the command in a cmd file, if i use "pushd %~dp0" or not, if i use the local or UNC file paths - it always fails with error -3

what a nightmare !

on a side note, im having no luck with orca at the minute.

move the .exe, the 2 answefiles, and the cmd to a temp folder called "warren" in the root of c:\ on the test machine "warrentest"

Does not work :

pushd %~dp0

setup.exe /s /f1w7x64unattend.iss

popd

exit /b %errorlevel%

share the folder called warren on the test machine, and ref this share in the cmd :

pushd %~dp0

setup.exe /s /f1"\\warrentest\warren\w7x64unattend.iss"

popd

exit /b %errorlevel%

This works :)

so for me, the answer to this is, keep referencing the iss file in a share (which just happens to be the SCCM server)

BUT why is SCCM, changing my command line and putting the quotes in the wrong place !

Conclusion = The Setup wants an absolute path for the answer file ? This is a behaviaor i know from Oracle Client Setups but not from Install Shield Installers.

If you name the answer file Setup.iss and call the Setup without the /f1 switch it should work though. The Setup.exe should be looking for a Setup.iss by itself. This neat little setup seems to be some kind of nightmare ^_^

First thing i would try is to transform the whole thing into a Wise MSI. Unfortunately you don't have this opportunity.

Thanks for everyones input and ideas with this.

The absolute path conclusion does appear to be an answer for the problem, but its not a resolution unfortunatly. :(

Whats still bugging me is, if I use the command string in SCCM of : CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s /v /qn /f1"\\DFSROOT\support$\SCCMDeploy\Cisco Ironport Plugin\w7x64unattend.iss"

I get an error of

Program started for advertisement "00120023" ("00100040" - "Install Cisco Ironport W7 x64").

Command line: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Cache\00100040.29.System\CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe" /s /v /qn /f1"\\DFSRoot\support$\SCCMDeploy\Cisco Ironport Plugin\w7x64unattend.iss"

Working directory: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Cache\00100040.29.System\

User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

why is the command format being changed ? Has anyone seen this behavoiur before ?

I don't see anything wrong in the command. SCCM was only appending the absolute path to the executable, but quotes are set in acorrect way. The only problem i see that the system has no access to the share. Has the Network Acccess Account a read access to the share?

I dont understand why SCCM closes the quotes after the .exe

Because SCCM would interprete the whole line as executable path oterwise. This way the system can make a difference between the executable and arguments.

What happens if you name the answerfile just Setup.iss and the run a simple CiscoEmailSecurity-7-2-0-039.exe /s ?

1) I prefer InstEd-It to Orca (which is difficult to obtain)

http://www.instedit.com/ There is a great free version too.

2) Also, have you thought about using a task sequence to run the different command lines one after another, rather than a batch file? Might have an impact on the command line being interfered with (if that is what is happening)

3) And I would ALWAYS get msi installs and bootstrap installers to generate a log file in everycase. We have created a suitable folder on every machine in our envinronment and use that path for all SD log files, so any member of ICT staff can pole around if there are issues.

Hope this helps.