Hamsaffar1

SCOM-2012 - Discovering SharePoint & BizTalk

Question

My installation of SCOM 2012 went w/o any issue and most of the monitoring is already in place EXCEPT I am having hard time discovering the SharePoint and BizTalk servers.

I am seeing absolutely no errors - I've tried runas account/profile and even tried Domain Admin account but no success.

I have also followed SCOM2007 SharePoint/BizTalk steps from multiple other forums (Google search) but no success.

Is there any step by instructions to force a discovery (I understand importing the respective MP should have done that trick, unfortunately not for me).

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hamsaffar1, Can you please elaborate a little on the issue? Do you have SCOM Agents installed on your SharePoint/BizTalk servers, and it is just not picking up the sub-elements? Or do you mean that you can't install the Agent on SharePoint/BizTalk servers?

There are few details that we need to know in order to assist you.

1. What version of SCOM are you running (i.e. 2007 R2, 2012, 2012 SP1, 2012 R2)?
  2. What OS version are you running SCOM on (i.e Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2)?
  3. Is SCOM on a physical or virtual server? If virtual, what virtualization technology is used (i.e. Hyper-V, VMware, etc.)?

Your comment mentions an issue with discovering the SharePoint and BizTalk servers. In SCOM, you discover the Computer Object, which has no relevance/dependence on the middleware platform technology.

When you go through the discovery wizard (see my Configuration Post), what options are you choosing? Does your Management Server Action Account (or the account you are using) have Administrator rights on the servers you are trying to monitor? Are the right firewall ports open?

The Management Packs will not do anything for discovery (from a management standpoint) until the SCOM Agent is installed on the servers. Then it will discover that the server is running SharePoint/BizTalk and report on those technologies appropriately.