silverhand

Wrong PXE Architecture boot and duplicated SMS_DP_SMSPKG

Question

I had Expired Certificate before, and it did not work when I created a new one, but SCCM did not work. And I had to remove PSP and WDS for recovering Distribution Point.

Everything is seemed working fine, but everything the clients do booting, they show wrong architecture as x64. The message as in Aborted error:

Downloaded WDSNBP

Architecture: x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot request for this computer. Please provide these details to your Windows Deployment Services Administrator so that this request can be approved.

Pending Request ID: 45

The technician guy before me, he installed RemoteInstall in C drive, I did not notice that and I installed RemoteInstall folder in D drive, I just tried to avoid system Windows Drive. And I also checked in IIS, I had two SMS_DP_SMSPKGC$ and SMS_DP_SMSPKGD$. SCCM also did not allow me to add new machine into collection, they stated them as Client=No and Approved=N/A.

But as I said, the deployment can work properly every time I create collection and advertise the task sequence. How can I get rid of the message above and let the booting with correct architecture?

If you have been experienced with this problem, please help me out. Thanks you in advance for your help. Cheers,I had Expired Certificate before, and it did not work when I created a new one, but SCCM did not work. And I had to remove PSP and WDS for recovering Distribution Point.

Everything is seemed working fine, but everything the clients do booting, they show wrong architecture as x64. The message as in Aborted error:

"Downloaded WDSNBP

Architecture: x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot request for this computer. Please provide these details to your Windows Deployment Services Administrator so that this request can be approved.

Pending Request ID: 45"

The technician guy before me, he installed "RemoteInstall" in C drive (Windows Server 2008 R2 drive), I did not notice that and I installed "RemoteInstall" folder in D drive. And I also checked in IIS, I had two SMS_DP_SMSPKGC$ and SMS_DP_SMSPKGD$. SCCM also did not allow me to add new machine into collection, they stated them as Client=No and Approved=N/A.

But as I said, the deployment can work properly every time I create collection and advertise the task sequence. How can I get rid of the message above and let the booting with correct architecture?

If you have been experienced with this problem, please help me out. Thanks you in advance for your help. Cheers,

5 answers to this question

some things to check..

did you add back both architecture boot images ? did you distribute both to the dp's ? did you change your task sequences so that they are using the new boot images ?

Dear anyweb,

Thanks for your stop by!

Sorry for my late reply, I have tried during weekend. All DPs are updated and the task sequence were used on right Boot Image. All other machines seemed work right, but except new machines. When I added them via MAC address, they are still showing that Client=No. I am not really sure due to this problem, so I cannot deploy my Windows 7 Image. I am thinking to clean SCCM from scratch :(

The collections are not seem right for me now, clients are messy and I do not know what happened before with the technician before me. I am so depress about it now. The only luck was that I could deploy images on old machines with apply direct the task sequence on the target collection, otherwise I should hang myself.

Thanks you in advance, anyweb! Hoping you can kick me an idea to handle this guy. Cheers,

check again that you've added both architecture boot images (x86 and x64) and distributed them to the dp's AND enabled them for PXE boot,

you need to enable PXE in three places,

the Distribution Point

the boot image (every boot image that you use for PXE boot)

the deployment of your task sequence

• Like 1

Dear guys,

Thanks anyweb!

Sorry for my late reply due to busy in work!

Finally, I tried to reinstall PXE and WDS service. And I found out the reason, WDS was configured before and located RemoteInstall in D: drive. But we had some setup folders like Packages (not RemoteInstall) in C: drive. I am not really sure because of this, so it made conflict to SCCM.

But what I have done last weekend, it was just about to step by step remove PXE and uninstall WDS, and reinstalled later on. I also manually updated and reinstalled DP for all PKGs. And this morning, the boot machine showed that "ProcessDatabaseReply: No Advertisement found in Db for device smspxe". So the problem was related to our mandatory task sequence.

And I also decided to install quickly a OS on new machine, and added machine name into AD, later on bingo, SCCM could show that Client=Yes and Approved=Yes. Seriously, I do not know whether machine is running wihout OS or somehow, SCCM cannot recognize the machine. So is it true that we need a preinstalled OS on machine before applying SCCM processes, such as: boot with PXE and apply our own OS with pre-installed softwares.

Thanks you in advance, anyweb! I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers,