anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows 7 with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes that you've installed and configured SCCM 2007 already and that you have set it up to deploy operating system's such as Windows Vista SP1. In addition you must have installed SP2 for ConfigMgr. It is available for download here.

The most up to date version of this Guide will always be found in the Deploy 7 section of the windows-noob.com forums.

For best practise information about deployments using SCCM you should always consult with Microsoft Technet.

Step 1. get the ISO

I chose the 64bit Enterprise version which was en_windows_7_enterprise_x64_dvd_x15-70749.iso.

Now that you have the ISO, mount it or burn it to DVD and copy the contents of it (all files and folders) to a network share on your SCCM server.

copying files.jpg

Step 2. Add Operating System Install Package

In System Center Configuration Manager 2007 expand the Operating System Deployment node and right click on Operating System Install Packages, choose add operating system install package.

When the Add Operating System Install Package wizard appears, point it to the path where the Windows 7 operating system files can be found eg:

\\SCCM\sources\os\7\rtm\x64\ent\

add operating system install package data source.jpg

fill in the name, version and a comment about the image

details about the image.jpg

review the summary

review the summary.jpg

and verify the confirmation

confirmation.jpg

Step 3. Create Distribution Point for the Image

Now that we have added the operating system files to our available operating system install packages, we need to create a new distribution point for it so let's do that.

Expand the newly added Windows 7 image you just added in Operating System Install Image Packages and right click on Distribution Points, select New Distribution Points. Click next on the Welcome screen.

new distribution points.jpg

As this is not a boot image (it's an Entire Operating System), select only the first distribution point (do not select the PXE one)

select first dp.jpg

click next and close.

Step 4. Update Distribution Point

now that we have created a distribution point, let's update it, so right click on distribution points and choose update distribution points, answer yes when prompted.

update dp.jpg

I am new to Windows 7 deployments using SCCM. I am trying to set up the first instance of an image that is to be captured from a master workstation. In this step listed above:

press browse and choose your boot image, in this case pick X64 Windows PE boot environment for SCCM 6.1.7100.0 en-US.

I do not have the x86 or x64 Windows PE boot environment for SCCM 6.1.7100.0 en-US as was shown in the screenshot boot images as shown in the instructions. Was this added in and how do I create a boot image specifically for use with SCCM? I found the instructions great and pictures are worth a 1000 words. All that I have avalible is the default x86 or x64 Windows PE boot environment 6.1.7100.0 en-US. When I liik at the properties for the two boot images, my version however is 6.1.7600.16385 with the site name and 0001 (this is the x86 boot image) and one for the site name and 0002 (this is the x 64 boot image. Also I cannot attach a screenshot of an image to show what I see.

Hi there,

I hope this thread is still being watched...

I need some help capturing a WIM from a reference machine.

I've just gone through the process of deploying a basic W7 SP1 ENT install.wim to our reference machine so we can capture and build a fresh W7 SP1 deployment image.

I've followed all the instructions here (along with copying and modifying an existing task list) and got to the point where our software has installed (Office2010) and then it moves on to capture the reference machine.

The machine then reboots up into windows but doesn't appear to capture and copy the WIM into the relevant folder on the network.

Any ideas? I'm really stuck now...

SMSTS log attached...

Hope someone can shed some light for me..

Thanks,

Chris.

smsts-20110913-113918.log

Hi, and thanks for these instructions. I'm all new to this and have hit a stumbling point. I'm doing the build and capture which seems to be going well up until the point where sysprep should run. The PC boots up at the stage "Setup is preparing your computer for first use". However, after this the PC goes to the login prompt as opposed to the screen where I should be selecting Country/Language etc. The boot.wim I used was actually created using this guide - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744533(WS.10).aspx.

Can you help?

Stuart

Yes I am trying to deploy windows 7.

I tried your DHCP options from

http://www.windows-n...__958

Now I am getting error abortpxe.com

as attached screenshot

Also I now saw weird action of my SCCM server After importing the computer details the PC is not adding to the specified Collection.

instead it is showing in the All Systems collection.

Why this happens,

I am really tired of this sccm behavior......

I have the exact same problem!!

Plus when i advertise the task sequence on the client machines.nothing happens on the machines.

The task sequence may run on one of them after several hours.On other machines, nothing ever happens!!??

why is this?? can anyone help??

that means unsupported, so you are doing something in windows that should be done in winpe or vice versa, i'll take a look at the log to confirm...i had a quick look at your log and didn't see any reference to the 0000032 failure, can you double check there's no more smsts*.log files ?

Hi there you put together some great walkthtoughs. I am at the point where you PX boot the machine. http://www.windows-n...loy-windows-7/. I have a PXE service point set up and an x86 an x64 win PE boot image configured for win 7 and added to the ditrabution point and and the distibution point has been updated. My DHCP server for deployments is on the same server as SCCM. On SCCM I have PXE options 066 and the value is the fqdn of my SCCM server, 067 and the value is blank I do not know what to put here, and 060 and its value is PXEClient. I get an ip address and then get the PXE E55 ProxyDHCP No reply to request on port 4011. The SCCM server is Server 2008R2 Standard SP1 cnfgmgr version 4.00.6487.2000. The windows Firewall disabled. SCCM and the host I am PXE booting are on the same subnet with no firewalls between them. I saw your troubleshooting steps http://www.windows-n..._1354#entry1354 but I cannot get to the point where I can troubleshoot because I cannot get the SCCM screen to load. I am new to automated deployments and have been following your walkthroughs and your posts on the windows noob message boards. They are outstanding. I am at a loos on how to resolve this issue. I saw some articles on google about removings the pxe service point and WDS and readding WDS and the service point but I am not sure if this is the correct solution or how to remove the PXE service point. Any help or feedback on these issueswould be helpful and greatly appreciated.

post-10466-0-26159900-1332525376_thumb.jpg

• Like 1