anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows 7 with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes that you've installed and configured SCCM 2007 already and that you have set it up to deploy operating system's such as Windows Vista SP1. In addition you must have installed SP2 for ConfigMgr. It is available for download here.

The most up to date version of this Guide will always be found in the Deploy 7 section of the windows-noob.com forums.

For best practise information about deployments using SCCM you should always consult with Microsoft Technet.

Step 1. get the ISO

I chose the 64bit Enterprise version which was en_windows_7_enterprise_x64_dvd_x15-70749.iso.

Now that you have the ISO, mount it or burn it to DVD and copy the contents of it (all files and folders) to a network share on your SCCM server.

copying files.jpg

Step 2. Add Operating System Install Package

In System Center Configuration Manager 2007 expand the Operating System Deployment node and right click on Operating System Install Packages, choose add operating system install package.

When the Add Operating System Install Package wizard appears, point it to the path where the Windows 7 operating system files can be found eg:

\\SCCM\sources\os\7\rtm\x64\ent\

add operating system install package data source.jpg

fill in the name, version and a comment about the image

details about the image.jpg

review the summary

review the summary.jpg

and verify the confirmation

confirmation.jpg

Step 3. Create Distribution Point for the Image

Now that we have added the operating system files to our available operating system install packages, we need to create a new distribution point for it so let's do that.

Expand the newly added Windows 7 image you just added in Operating System Install Image Packages and right click on Distribution Points, select New Distribution Points. Click next on the Welcome screen.

new distribution points.jpg

As this is not a boot image (it's an Entire Operating System), select only the first distribution point (do not select the PXE one)

select first dp.jpg

click next and close.

Step 4. Update Distribution Point

now that we have created a distribution point, let's update it, so right click on distribution points and choose update distribution points, answer yes when prompted.

update dp.jpg

Hello

I followed the tutorial and I get an error 0x80070005.

My logs is : (in french)

Le moteur d'exécution des séquences de tâches n'a pas pu exécuter l'action (Capturer la machine de référence) dans le groupe (Capturer la machine de référence) avec le code d'erreur 2147942405
Sortie de l'action : ployment.
Boot volume is C:Volume A:\ will not be captured: not a fixed hard drive
Volume D:\ will not be captured: not a fixed hard drive
Volume X:\ will not be captured: not a fixed hard drive
Preparing system for capture...
Successfully loadedthe BCD boot system
Connection request for "\\srvsccm\Sources\Captures\7"
Connecting to "\\srvsccm\Sources\Captures\7"
Successfully connected to "\\srvsccm\Sources\Captures\7"
Creating image file \\srvsccm\Sources\Captures\7\win7ent.wim
m_hImageFile= WIMCreateFile( const_cast<LPWSTR>(m_sImageFileName.c_str()), WIM_GENERIC_WRITE, WIM_CREATE_ALWAYS, 0, WIM_COMPRESS_LZX, NULL), HRESULT=80070005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\wimfile.cpp,244)
ImageFile.Create(sCaptureDestination), HRESULT=80070005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\capturesystemimage\capturesystemimage.cpp,883)
Finished with error code 0x80070005
Unloading offline SOFTWARE registry hive
Unable to create the image file (0x80070005)
Unloading offline SYSTEM registry hive. Le système d'exploitation a signalé l'erreur 2147942405 : Accès refusé.

But i don't understand the error because the connection is succesfull.

Help me anyone please, and thank you.

Lexus

I was able to at least get past the PXE boot but now I'm getting the dreaded "PXE Boot aborted." message. I've went as far as starting from scratch using this guide. In the smspxe.log file I get the "No Boot Action for Device (4813) found"

One other peculiar thing I noticed is that once I advertise the TS it shows up as an advertisement but when I check the advertisement status, it's no where to be found.

So my issue is that I can't get my test machine to PXE boot. About 2 weeks ago it was PXE booting fine but for some reason it's failing now. I have also unsuccessfully "Clear(ed) last PXE advertisement" for the collection. Any ideas?

Im currently using a Manual Capture process but would like to start using Build and Capture method. My question or concern is what aobut Updates? That is the only reason I haven't went to the Build and Capture Method yet. We use a "Thin" image and with it we install all the updates and SP but no applications.

For example we had been deploying Win7 for a while then after SP1, I did a manul capture of a reference computer with SP1 and other updates. However nowe we are at the point that a newly deployed machine has over 100 updates to be applied.

I dont see how if I have an old image on SCCM and use that to build and capture I get it updated with all the update with out having the tech go through updates after its deployed?

Your instructions show that immediatly the computer starts running the "Build and capture Windows 7".

When I try mine out, i get all the way Select a Task Sequence. I'm assuming that is correct and ok. I will select my Build and Capture Windows 7 TS and see what happens

Hi,

We have bought new systems 300 desktops and 100 laptops and are planning to deploy OS (Win 7) using SCCM 2012.This will be the first time that I will be using SCCM.I know there is a build and capture Method to deploy OS but It wolud be really helpful if some one out there can tell me how to approach to accomplish this task.Also I would like to know how can i Partition HDD using SCCM.

I want to create a Golden Image where C drive will be 50 gb and rest will be For Drive D with all my applicatons and drivers included in WIM file and later I can use that Image for future deployments.

My question is how can we Partition the Disk using Sccm and build the Image

Thanks