anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows 7 with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes that you've installed and configured SCCM 2007 already and that you have set it up to deploy operating system's such as Windows Vista SP1. In addition you must have installed SP2 for ConfigMgr. It is available for download here.

The most up to date version of this Guide will always be found in the Deploy 7 section of the windows-noob.com forums.

For best practise information about deployments using SCCM you should always consult with Microsoft Technet.

Step 1. get the ISO

I chose the 64bit Enterprise version which was en_windows_7_enterprise_x64_dvd_x15-70749.iso.

Now that you have the ISO, mount it or burn it to DVD and copy the contents of it (all files and folders) to a network share on your SCCM server.

copying files.jpg

Step 2. Add Operating System Install Package

In System Center Configuration Manager 2007 expand the Operating System Deployment node and right click on Operating System Install Packages, choose add operating system install package.

When the Add Operating System Install Package wizard appears, point it to the path where the Windows 7 operating system files can be found eg:

\\SCCM\sources\os\7\rtm\x64\ent\

add operating system install package data source.jpg

fill in the name, version and a comment about the image

details about the image.jpg

review the summary

review the summary.jpg

and verify the confirmation

confirmation.jpg

Step 3. Create Distribution Point for the Image

Now that we have added the operating system files to our available operating system install packages, we need to create a new distribution point for it so let's do that.

Expand the newly added Windows 7 image you just added in Operating System Install Image Packages and right click on Distribution Points, select New Distribution Points. Click next on the Welcome screen.

new distribution points.jpg

As this is not a boot image (it's an Entire Operating System), select only the first distribution point (do not select the PXE one)

select first dp.jpg

click next and close.

Step 4. Update Distribution Point

now that we have created a distribution point, let's update it, so right click on distribution points and choose update distribution points, answer yes when prompted.

update dp.jpg

Hi,

Your post is very helpful and im so close to getting this working, i know have my PC booteing to PXE but it seems to display the following every time

:angry:TFTP Download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com

And then aborts the pxe bootup. I have tried editing the registry key as described in other posts, cleared the last PXE advertisement and adding a membership rule to the collection. I have also restarted the WDS service. None of these are working and i'm getting very very annoyed by it all now mad.gif

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

I have seen this error when i work in my LAb with Virtual PC's .when My VPC bootsup ,i get pxeboot aborted error.I go to SCCM console and clear the last PXe,tried booting again ,it works.But sometimes it annoyes,so what i did was,taken a new VPC and boot up,it work Great actually! Btw ,are you trying in virtual or Physical machine?

Do you have config mgr client package ? if not ,please create new package.

That was it...thanks Eswar

Now I am at the PXE boot step.

My Server is not DHCP....all the clients and server have static IP addresses. I have added the "ConfigMgr PXE service point" role on the SCCM server but when I reboot a client PC to PXE boot I get the following at DOS prompt

"Client MAC Address xx xx xx xx xx xx"

"DHCP .......|"

then after 15-20 seconds I get this

"PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received"

"PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent"

thanks

Well, I did not want to setup DHCP on my Server 2008 but I guess there is no other option. I just configured the 66 and 67 Scope option and client is at least getting the IP address (at PXE boot).....now it is at the "TFTP...." prompt....lets see how that goes

thanks

Well, I did not want to setup DHCP on my Server 2008 but I guess there is no other option. I just configured the 66 and 67 Scope option and client is at least getting the IP address (at PXE boot).....now it is at the "TFTP...." prompt....lets see how that goes

thanks

Hi

I was able to fix the PXE issue (I needed to add/configure the WDS role on server 2008 and couple of other things like add the computer account to the collection, update the distribution point etc)

Now I am stuck at the "Running action: Setup Windows and ConfigMgr..." (which is right after the C: drive gets formatted). I am getting the following error:

Task Sequence: Build and Capture Win 7 has failed with the error code 0x80004005........

I looked at the task sequence (in the Config Mgr Console) and did not see anything that could cause this. However I do not have any drivers added in the "Drivers" and "Driver Packages" nodes in SCCM. I am not sure if that is what is causing the error or not. The reference computer is IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre m55p.

Any help is appreciated...

Hi

I was able to fix the PXE issue (I needed to add/configure the WDS role on server 2008 and couple of other things like add the computer account to the collection, update the distribution point etc)

Now I am stuck at the "Running action: Setup Windows and ConfigMgr..." (which is right after the C: drive gets formatted). I am getting the following error:

Task Sequence: Build and Capture Win 7 has failed with the error code 0x80004005........

I looked at the task sequence (in the Config Mgr Console) and did not see anything that could cause this. However I do not have any drivers added in the "Drivers" and "Driver Packages" nodes in SCCM. I am not sure if that is what is causing the error or not. The reference computer is IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre m55p.

Any help is appreciated...

Are you running the TS on a virtual MAchine or Physical machine? if it is on physical machine,make sure you have NIC drivers avilable.please Post the smsts.log to to get more information.Also,you can monitor the status of the particular TS advertisement with report ID :144 (i.e http://prodscm/SMSRe...vertID=KBS20007) You need to replace the ADV ID (KBS20007) here.

Are you running the TS on a virtual MAchine or Physical machine? if it is on physical machine,make sure you have NIC drivers avilable.please Post the smsts.log to to get more information.Also,you can monitor the status of the particular TS advertisement with report ID :144 (i.e http://prodscm/SMSRe...vertID=KBS20007) You need to replace the ADV ID (KBS20007) here.

Hi

It is a physical machine.....and I just added the NIC drivers in "Drivers" node of SCCM and have not tried the Image capture yet. I am assuming that smsts.log file is going to be on the client PC. If correct then I will have to use some utility like BartPE to access the C: drive since the there is no OS on the PC.

I am getting "Server error in application Default Website/SMSReporting_SiteCode) so that is why I cannot look at the reports but I did find some errors (posted below) in the Advertisement Status:

Msg ID: 11170

Source: SMS Client

Comp: Task Sequence Manager

The task sequence manager could not successfully complete execution of the task sequence. A failure exit code of 16389 was returned.

Package ID : CLM00005

Advertisement ID : CLM20000

Client SMS Unique ID : GUID:761D1683-AB2C-4A0D-B87E-BCF0FE7392DF

Msg ID: 11141

Comp: Task Sequence Engine

The task sequence execution engine failed execution of a task sequence. The operating system reported error 2147500037: Unspecified error

Unknown Machine : 0

MAC Addresses : 00:1F:D0:48:13:59

SMBIOS ID : 2A6B3632-42EF-CC3D-8BB8-CB13DB6E2795

Msg ID: 11135

Comp: Task Sequence Engine

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Setup windows and ConfigMgr) in the group (Build the Reference Machine) with the error code 2147500037

Action output: ly saved configuration information to C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml

Successfully initialized driver information

Command line for extension .EXE is "%1" %*

Set command line: "\\SCCMTEST1.TEST.COM\SMSPKGD$\CLM00003\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE" "/unattend:C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml" /noreboot

Executing command line: "\\SCCMTEST1.TEST.COM\SMSPKGD$\CLM00003\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE" "/unattend:C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml" /noreboot

Process completed with exit code 31

Windows Setup completed with exit code 31

Entering ReleaseSource() for \\SCCMTEST1.TEST.COM\SMSPKGD$\CLM00003reference count 1 for the source \\SCCMTEST1.TEST.COM\SMSPKGD$\CLM00003\ before releasing

Released the resolved source \\SCCMTEST1.TEST.COM\SMSPKGD$\CLM00003exitCode == 0, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,440)

setup.run(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,1707)

Exiting with code 0x80004005

Windows setup failed, code 31. The operating system reported error 2147500037: Unspecified error

Unknown Machine : 0

MAC Addresses : 00:1F:D0:48:13:59

SMBIOS ID : 2A6B3632-42EF-CC3D-8BB8-CB13DB6E2795

if you leave the Product key blank in the Task Sequence does it work then ?

Thanks anyweb

By removing the product key I was able get as far as "Capture the reference computer" and then I got ".....unable to capture 0x8007000g error....more detail is below....

I rebooted the computer thinking it would try the capture again but it did not, I got the "Windows 7 Professional" window with "Country or region, Time and currency....." window. The \\sccmtest1\pkgs share has full share permissions (and Security Permissions) for the domain\administrator account and Everyone Read. I added domain\administrator account when I setup the Capture and Deploy TS.

So, question is at this point how do i capture the WIM file......thanks

BTW, from which error code (from my previous post) did you find out that I was using a product key?

********************************************************************************************************

Msg ID: 11141

The task sequence execution engine failed execution of a task sequence. The operating system reported error 2147942405: Access is denied.

Msg ID: 11135

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Capture the Reference Machine) in the group (Capture the Reference Machine) with the error code 2147942405

Action output: sprep state set to IMAGE_STATE_GENERALIZE_RESEAL_TO_OOBE

Sysprep.exe has marked the OS as generalized for deployment.

Boot volume is C:Volume D:\ will not be captured: not a fixed hard drive

Volume X:\ will not be captured: not a fixed hard drive

Preparing system for capture...

Successfully loaded the BCD boot system

Connection request for "\\sccmtest1\pkgs"

Connecting to "\\sccmtest1\pkgs"

Successfully connected to "\\sccmtest1\pkgs"

Creating image file \\sccmtest1\pkgs\capture

m_hImageFile= WIMCreateFile( const_cast<LPWSTR>(m_sImageFileName.c_str()), WIM_GENERIC_WRITE, WIM_CREATE_ALWAYS, 0, WIM_COMPRESS_LZX, NULL), HRESULT=80070005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\wimfile.cpp,244)

ImageFile.Create(sCaptureDestination), HRESULT=80070005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\capturesystemimage\capturesystemimage.cpp,883)

Finished with error code 0x80070005

Unloading offline SOFTWARE registry hive

Unloading offline SYSTEM registry hive

Unable to create the image file (0x80070005). The operating system reported error 2147942405: Access is denied.

I gave the "Everyone" group full permissions (Share/NTFS) on the \\sccmtest1\pkgs share and started the Build & Capture process all over but I got the same error

Task Sequence: Build and Capture Windows 7 has failed with error code 0x80070005................

Help please !!!