anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows 7 with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes that you've installed and configured SCCM 2007 already and that you have set it up to deploy operating system's such as Windows Vista SP1. In addition you must have installed SP2 for ConfigMgr. It is available for download here.

The most up to date version of this Guide will always be found in the Deploy 7 section of the windows-noob.com forums.

For best practise information about deployments using SCCM you should always consult with Microsoft Technet.

Step 1. get the ISO

I chose the 64bit Enterprise version which was en_windows_7_enterprise_x64_dvd_x15-70749.iso.

Now that you have the ISO, mount it or burn it to DVD and copy the contents of it (all files and folders) to a network share on your SCCM server.

copying files.jpg

Step 2. Add Operating System Install Package

In System Center Configuration Manager 2007 expand the Operating System Deployment node and right click on Operating System Install Packages, choose add operating system install package.

When the Add Operating System Install Package wizard appears, point it to the path where the Windows 7 operating system files can be found eg:

\\SCCM\sources\os\7\rtm\x64\ent\

add operating system install package data source.jpg

fill in the name, version and a comment about the image

details about the image.jpg

review the summary

review the summary.jpg

and verify the confirmation

confirmation.jpg

Step 3. Create Distribution Point for the Image

Now that we have added the operating system files to our available operating system install packages, we need to create a new distribution point for it so let's do that.

Expand the newly added Windows 7 image you just added in Operating System Install Image Packages and right click on Distribution Points, select New Distribution Points. Click next on the Welcome screen.

new distribution points.jpg

As this is not a boot image (it's an Entire Operating System), select only the first distribution point (do not select the PXE one)

select first dp.jpg

click next and close.

Step 4. Update Distribution Point

now that we have created a distribution point, let's update it, so right click on distribution points and choose update distribution points, answer yes when prompted.

update dp.jpg

If you haven't enabled F8 support do so by ( Clicking here )

Then press f8 to bring up your command prompt

see if you can ping your server?

by your logs is is returning a host not found which looks more like a dns issue.

CLibSMSMessageWinHttpTransport::Send: URL: SCCMTEST1.TEST.COM:87 CCM_POST /ccm_system/request

Error. Received 0x80072ee7 from WinHttpSendRequest.

unknown host (gethostbyname failed)

check that is working...

also, i suggest disabling NAP in your lab until you get it working

I am able to ping the server SCCMTEST1 (when in F8)

When I try to use this command;

net use h: \\sccmtest1\pkgs

it prompts for username and password, I think it should not prompt for credentials (although after I provide the credentials it maps the drive).

I checked my Task Sequence and I have the correct user name (test.com\administrator and I re-typed the password like several times).

So what is confusing to me is that from the start of this Build & Capture process, it connects to the server, gets the Task Sequence, gets boot image, gets Windows 7 OS files, installs the config manager client using the same credentials.....but fails right at "Capture" and the problem seems to be the user credentials. :angry:

I found what the problem was.

In the "Build and Capture Task Sequence" under the "Capture the Reference Machine", the Destinatation had the correct path but I did not include the file name like "capture.wim".....I was under the impression that the file will be created during the Capture process....but I was wrong.....anyhow I have a capture.wim file and now I am moving to the next section "Deploy....."

thanks for all your help guys

:)

Step 8. PXE boot the newly added Windows 7 client

finally it will reboot again and start the computer with your sysprepped settings

post-1-12510175927426_thumb.jpg

and the Build and Capture is now complete

post-1-12510176024174_thumb.jpg

Is it possible to add after the image capture that the machine will do a "legal" shutdown? I mean, a run command line with "shutdown -s" will produce an error, since the TS will be aborted by the shutdown. Is it possible to make a shutdown that doesn't produce an error as the last step in the TS?

I want this option because we're doing auto-generating images on VMware machines, and want them to power automatically (shutdown) of after a image capture, and not restart into the new windows installation. This is because when we want to auto-generate a new image, we can advertise with wake-on-lan, and run the sequence again with ease.

its part of the new waik for windows 7

that is also part of the RC so if you install sp2 rc youäll have the new WAIK

My SCCM doesn't have those boot options either and I integrated MDT 2010 with it. Here is a screenshot of my version. What am I missing?

post-5213-12694693598177_thumb.jpg

I have started working with SCCM. I am facing a problem. After Starting the Task Sequence (Windows is Starting up) the screen shot is mentioned below, the system gets restarted. It is not moving to formatting disk, as per mentioned in this site.

Hey Niall Please help.

sccmerror.jpg

i'm facing exactly same probleme,after "Starting WInPE" , Computer reboot, deployement doesnt start...

I added the good NIC Driver (broadcom)..

Anyweb, said to check the SMSTS.log from the clients, but.....my client is..EMPTY ! taht why i want deploy it !! it's an unknow computers, with any OS intalled on it..

so which .log i can check on the server to find any clue about this problem ?