sumyun

Application with 32bit / 64bit dependencies ext. discussion

I saw someone post this on a different topic, I just want to extend the discussion a bit.

I am deploying Java to Windows 7 64bit machine, which there is a requirement to install both Java 32bit and 64bit runtime. I set the dependency of 64bit Java to have Java 32bit install. It works in a regular application deployment, but when it comes to install application during task sequence, it doesn't seem to work.

I use collection variable to define a list of applicaitons, Java is one of them.

Anyone has similar situation?

To Peter van der Woude, in my situation, I need to install both 32bit and 64bit Java runtime for Windows 7 x64.

I actually get it working now. Somehow my coworker import the Java runtime application with msi deployment type, but the package actually done in script. It may be a bit confusing, but what he did is when creating the deployment type, he chose msi to populate all the information, and manually change the install and uninstall command to script. In application window under deployment types tab, it shows as MSI under Technology column.

I import Java again, and choose "Script Installer (Native)" for both 32bit and 64bit installation script. It is working as expected.

That seems kid of a round about way to get it done. I agree with Peter. Since you install the 32 bit on all machines, just deploy it. Use a requirement on 64 bit verison to install only on 64 bit machines. In your task sequence just add a condition to the java x64 step to only install on x64.