ProperNoob

WDS - Followed Guide Word By Word - Where am I going wrong??

Question

Hey Guys, First time poster but I have done some reading and I think I'm posting in the correct place so please dont kill me if i've got something wrong... :unsure:

So first up, a little info on me: I work as an Software/Hardware Technician repairing customer laptops/desktops, just doing basic repairs such as soldering (both by hand as well as BGA rework), component replacement, data backup & reinstallation ect. I also do repairs privatly and this is where I need a server to help me out.

Every now and again I get small companies that bring multiple (we're talking 25+) netbooks for reinstallation and the time it takes to reinstall each one by external optical drive or USB thumb drive is unbarable.

This is what I'm working with:

System:

Dell Studio Slim 540s

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

4GB RAM

500GB HDD

Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-Bit) Installed

My Aim:

To be able to install mainly Windows 7 and XP Through the network and if possible to install multiple machines at once and eventually id like to learn how to setup servers for corperate use such as each user having to log onto the server and being able to restrict access from certian websites, access to system settings like control panel ect ect.

Router:

HUAWEI HG533

Internet:

Talktalk 40mb Fibre Optic

Connections:

1) Standard Ethernet cable from router to Server

2) Standard Ethernet Cable from Router to Cilent

What I have tried so far:

I have followed this Tutorial:

As well as following the tutorial found on this site: http://www.windows-n...ws-server-2008/

Now this is the very first time I have used Windows Server edition in my life, however i dont think I have missed any steps in either tutorial, but every time I try to boot from PXE on several different makes and modeled laptops I recieve the following error:

CILENT MAC ADDR: XX XX XX XX XX XX

GUID:XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX

DHCP.................

PXE-E53: No Boot Filename Recieved

PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM

If anybody can lend me a hand (or even remote desktop) i'd really appreciate it........

9 answers to this question

Is the snippet above from your own server? Has it been configured fully...I see there is still a yellow exclamation mark on the server node!

If all the roles needed for WDS reside on the same server then you only need to check both boxes as stated from the main snippet above...you do not need to touch the DHCP server as stated in the NOTE... checking the boxes on the WDS console will add the options automatically.

Have you added boot.wims and images to the server yet?

Hi Rocket Man,

The snippet above is the guide I followed to originally setup my own server 2008 R2 machine, wich failed so I then followed the instructions given in the second tutorial that I found gophers on Windows Noob forums.

When I followed the video tutorial I did not do any of the instructions that are stated on the "NOTE" that pops up halfway through the video! I simple added the two checkboxes on the main video instructions.

Yes I have added the boot.wim in the "install an Image" and "Capture an Image" parts at the end of the video,using a Windows 7 32bit ISO and I have made a installation group and added an install.wim in there as well.

Still no joy though.

Thank you for replying Rocket man, I appreciate any help you (and any other members) can give

have you disabled the DHCP on the router?

If you load the PXE machines into an OS are they recieveing a DHCP address from the server?

Just to rule out the Router can you connect your server directly to a switch and also your client(s) and PXE boot then?

Hey Rocket Man,

I havn't disabled the DHCP on the router yet, I will try it in a minute and see if that makes any difference.

How do I check if the cilents are receiving DHCP from the server? I have several cilent loaded with win7 to try.

I will get hold of a switch from work and try the method of connecting to a switch directly and then report back.

Just do an ipconfig from the command prompt on a client it should tell you which server the DHCP has been leased from.......I would safely say that you would be better disabling the the DHCP on the router if you have configured the server for DHCP....this is a major conflict and DHCP will be unstable...and DHCP plays a major part in PXE booting...could be the cause of your error considering if you have followed the guides mentioned correctly

Well Rocket Man you are an absolute Genious!

I thought before disabling the DHCP.in the router, I would first try connecting directly to a netgear 8 port switch and guess what? It worked first time as it should have been from the start! I cannot thank you enough!

So from here, is it better to reconnect to the router and disable DHCP (is that safe as well?) or would it be better to continue using the switch for deployment?

Also, with either method can is there any tips on how to speed up deployment? I.e certain switches deploy quicker for example, and can I use either method to deploy to multiple clients at once? Or is that to do with multicasting?

And one last thing.. (well two actually)....

1) I've heard deploying windows xp is a completely different kettle of fish compared to windows, as in you can't use nLited ISO's, can't sys prep properly and that use need to force the mini setup to run after installation for drivers to install, is any/all of this true?

2) is there any software for making unattended.xml (there's probably I guide on here but I'm at work at the moment so I'll have a search later) can unattended.xml be used on Captured wim's

Again.... THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP ROCKET MAN, YOU ARE A LEGEND!

So from here, is it better to reconnect to the router and disable DHCP (is that safe as well?) or would it be better to continue using the switch for deployment?

(1)Yes disable DHCP on the router and use the server DHCP (2)depends wether your clients need internet access to activate windows/office/updates etc after first logon....

If you can create a custom image with all your updates and other mods then capture this...deploy it out all that needs to be done is activate windows via an internet connection.

Hardware does play a major factor in OSD speeds....network backbone/switch(GB vs Fast Ethernet)/ and then of course also the NICs on your Notebooks...if they only have fast Ethernet NICs then having a GB switch will add no advantage as the NICs on the NoteBooks will be only able to operate at 100mb anyway!! As for multi-casting I never had to use this so my experience is limited on this query.

1) I've heard deploying windows xp is a completely different kettle of fish compared to windows, as in you can't use nLited ISO's, can't sys prep properly and that use need to force the mini setup to run after installation for drivers to install, is any/all of this true?

Yes XP is different...the sysprep sequence is much more tedious than a win7 sysprep....Again I was fortunate enough in never having to do any XP machines with WDS..but it is possible and there are bloggs on the web that will guide you through the procedure to get XP fully installed unautomated...there may even be one here on this Fourm.

2) is there any software for making unattended.xml (there's probably I guide on here but I'm at work at the moment so I'll have a search later) can unattended.xml be used on Captured wim's

Yes you will you have to get the WAIK tools and install them ....there are guides that can be sourced on this Fourm that will introduce you to creating answerfiles for unautomated deployment.