fr0zen

SCCM 2012 - Collections Design recommendation?

Hello Everyone,

This website has been super helpful in my migration from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012.

One of the questions that I can't seem to find any answers for is related to SCCM 2012 Collections design consideration.

Currently in SCCM 2007 we have a "Software Distribution" Collection, and within each application has its own collection. All computers are added using Direct rule only (yes not the best way), to each application specific collection as needed.

Now, with SCCM 2012, I would like to revamp the way we push out applications, on top of that since sub-collections are not possible with SCCM 2012, having 100 collections for software is going to look like a mess.

I would like to get advice on how you guys are pushing out packages using SCCM 2012. I am guessing a lot of you are using AD Groups for applications and maybe using a query to determine if the app is already installed? The whole application vs packages still has me confused.

A visual screenshots of a setup would help a lot.

Thanks again.

start by reading Part 8 of my current series which explains how to install applications (packages are essentially the same as they are in Configuration Manager 2007 today).

once you've grasped the power that the new application model provides you'll see that using those abilities will reduce the number of collections you need,

if you still want to deploy software to users based on active directory security group membership then you can by the way you mentioned 'sub collections are possible', they are not, you can create folders with folders with folders with collections but that's about it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just played around with the Application and it does seem to be awesome.

One of the reasons we had collections was to segregate Desktops and Laptops, unfortunately I don't see a way of application targeting laptops only or just Desktops only.

Am i wrong ?

Hi,

Apologies for hijacking this post but I am also struggling to find the right collection design for our organisation. We are a large college in the UK with over 3000 devices spread over different sites. I was hoping that I could setup the device collection flowing top to bottom based on the hierarchy:

Site

Block

Floor

Classroom

I was thinking about a folder structure each containing collections for the above design. Is this possible and would anyone know of a better way than what I have described.

Sorry about the confusing post but I am struggling to find a definitive answer anywhere. I want to make sure our design is done correctly and efficiently from the start.

Hi,

Apologies for hijacking this post but I am also struggling to find the right collection design for our organisation. We are a large college in the UK with over 3000 devices spread over different sites. I was hoping that I could setup the device collection flowing top to bottom based on the hierarchy:

Site

Block

Floor

Classroom

I was thinking about a folder structure each containing collections for the above design. Is this possible and would anyone know of a better way than what I have described.

Sorry about the confusing post but I am struggling to find a definitive answer anywhere. I want to make sure our design is done correctly and efficiently from the start.

I am encountering the same issues as you Richard. I'm also in a large College and in our 2007 setup we used the same basic structure as you have described - it was good to be able to target a group of PCs at a block level and know that the sub-collections beneath would also receive the package. It gave us good scope for slowly rolling out deployments, especially in the case of large packages such as Creative Suite.

As I migrate the collections to 2012 its clear that this approach isn't going to work. I'll post in this thread once I determine a solution that looks like a good fit.