anyweb

how to get rid of abortpxe.com

Question

Note: this works for me, your mileage may vary, it's worth a try, let me know if it helps.

if you've just started testing with SCCM you'll no doubt see this when imaging a client over and over, after you image the computer you cannot image it again until you right click on the computer in SCCM and choose 'clear last PXE advertisement'

clear_last_pxe.jpg

when you do that, you should be able to image the computer again, which is great when you are testing clients over and over to get your Task Sequence working...

however, after doing this a few times it no longer works, the clear last PXE advertisement no longer works

no_pxe_advertisement_listed.jpg

and when you PXE boot the client you still see the abortpxe message

Downloaded WDSNBP

Architecture: x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot request for this computer. Please provide these details to your Windows Deployment Services Administrator so that this request can be approved.

Pending Request ID: 45

Contacting Server: 192.168.3.1.
TFTP Download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com

PXE Boot aborted. Booting to next device...

Those lines above have added to my grey hair content many times as I would try all sort of things to resolve this including

1. deleting the advertisement and re-advertising it
2. restarting WDS and DHCP service
3. restarting SCCM server
4. all of the above and then some....

until finally I tried the following method which appears to work just fine,

Step 1.Add a rule

Add a direct membership rule on the collection you are deploying to by right clicking on it and choose properties.

properties.jpg

click on the Membership Rules tab

membership_rules_tab.jpg

click on the blue computer icon to create a direct membership rule

membership_rules.jpg

when the wizard appears click next

change the drop down menus so they are like this

Resource Class: System Resource
Attribute name: Name

*you can choose Netbios Name also*

resource_class.jpg

enter your computername that you want to remove the abortpxe.com feature from in lowercase or use wildcards eg: dell%

d.jpg

click next and leave the collection blank, click next again

blank.jpg

and here's the fun part !!!

look at the list, theres TWO of the computers with the same name... select them both *or only one if one appears* and click next

two_listed.jpg

click finish and then click ok at this screen

3_now.jpg

Step 2. Refresh the collection

Refresh the collection by selecting it and hitting F5

you should now see more than one of your original computers listed with the same name...

obsolete.jpg

Step 3. You are done !

That's it, your advertisement will begin working again now as now SCCM 'sees' the computer again. If you want you can delete the obsolete computers listed, it really doesn't matter if you leave them there or delete them.

delete.jpg

that's it smile.gif

abortpxe.com is kaboof !

related reading > http://blogs.msdn.com/b/steverac/archive/2013/10/03/delete-behavior-for-devices-in-configmgr-2012.aspx

This is my scenario:

I have a group of computers (Usually the same model) that do not get the F12 option when booting to PXE, they get the abort message right before F12 option. I have found that if i clear the last PXE advertisement for the collections they are members of, in about five minutes later the problem is gone. These are computers that have not been reimaged at least in the last 24 hours. I want to find the cause of the problem. It does not happen with all of the computers in the collections. Any idea how to prevent this from happening will be appreciate it.

what does the smspxe.log reveal about the probelm when you pxe those affected computers (hint: search for the mac address of the computer and not the messages)

I am sorry i am getting back just now. I got sidetracked with other issues

When i take a look of the smspxe.log file, this is what i found for one of the computers where the "F12" line to boot to PXE is not present:

MAC=00:E0:4D:82:3A:1B SMBIOS GUID=03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009 > Device found in the database. MacCount=1 GuidCount=510 smspxe 10/7/2011 9:19:36 AM 5596 (0x15DC)

[010.001.050.113:4011] Recv From:[140.198.043.008:68] Len:303 293f070 smspxe 10/7/2011 9:19:36 AM 5564 (0x15BC)

Executing GetBootAction(70085, SCCM) smspxe 10/7/2011 9:19:36 AM 5596 (0x15DC)

No Boot Action for Device (70085) found smspxe 10/7/2011 9:19:36 AM 5596 (0x15DC)

ProcessDatabaseReply: No Advertisement found in Db for device smspxe 10/7/2011 9:19:36 AM5596 (0x15DC)

Now, when i compare the log with a good known PXE boot object, this is what is in the log:

Advertisement results: OfferId:GCC2006E OfferTime:21/03/2011 07:54:00 PackageID:GCC00033 BootImageID:GCC00072 PackageVer: PackagePath:\\SCCM\SMSPXEIMAGES$\SMSPKG\GCC00072\ Mandatory:0

What could be different when both of objects are member of the same collection?

Thanks,

Something I just noticed is that those affected computers have the same GUID. Could that be part of the problem? From my previous post, does "GuidCount=510" mean that there are 510 objects with the same GUID?

I went to the console and deleted the existing object for that MAC address and now all of the computers that had the F12 line missing are showing it and are booting to PXE. I do not get it.

I found these two blogs that talk about the same issues i am experiencing. I think they are on the right path but would like to know if any of you have tried the solution they suggest.

http://dragos.madarasan.com/tag/guidcount

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/idany/archive/2008/10/22/how-to-enable-osd-with-duplicate-uuid-in-configuration-manager.aspx

Thanks.

Hi Guys ,

I have some what similar problem, My Testvm boots with DHCP and goes till Pending Request ID : ?? Contacting Server : SCCM (IP Address) ......

it does not go ahead. I have assigned a Task Sequence on this collections and i also did what Mr Anyweb Said to Do "Direct" but No luck.

smspxe.log file says "Device has been accepted"

Thanks

Hi Niall

I have tried your process. This time it didn't work. I have also deleted the computer in question from "all systems" collection and did a Computer Association import. Still no luck. I also went through the process of "clear Pxe advertisement " etc. I also checked in the "conflicting records " area... No luck.

Also FYI, when I carried out your method, I couldn't see two entries for this PC in the collection I was interested in. I had a query based selection for this PC and a direct rule as well. I could see only one entry in the collection. I went through the routine of Update collection and Refresh....

For now it's a restart of the server and then WDS .. I think.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I have set the wds cache timeout to 10 minutes using the registry key we have all been told about. However I found that advertising this TS to unknown computers did the trick. Also I found that the laptop name label had been changed so I was trying to deploy to the wrong machine almost. Once I knew this and then used the unknown computers collection all seemed to fall in to place.

It's a jungle, this SCCM is, and with the help of all the good Bloggers and web sites like these i will get there...

Many thanks to all who put valuable information out to help each other.