anyweb

how to get rid of abortpxe.com

Question

Note: this works for me, your mileage may vary, it's worth a try, let me know if it helps.

if you've just started testing with SCCM you'll no doubt see this when imaging a client over and over, after you image the computer you cannot image it again until you right click on the computer in SCCM and choose 'clear last PXE advertisement'

clear_last_pxe.jpg

when you do that, you should be able to image the computer again, which is great when you are testing clients over and over to get your Task Sequence working...

however, after doing this a few times it no longer works, the clear last PXE advertisement no longer works

no_pxe_advertisement_listed.jpg

and when you PXE boot the client you still see the abortpxe message

Downloaded WDSNBP

Architecture: x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot request for this computer. Please provide these details to your Windows Deployment Services Administrator so that this request can be approved.

Pending Request ID: 45

Contacting Server: 192.168.3.1.
TFTP Download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com

PXE Boot aborted. Booting to next device...

Those lines above have added to my grey hair content many times as I would try all sort of things to resolve this including

1. deleting the advertisement and re-advertising it
2. restarting WDS and DHCP service
3. restarting SCCM server
4. all of the above and then some....

until finally I tried the following method which appears to work just fine,

Step 1.Add a rule

Add a direct membership rule on the collection you are deploying to by right clicking on it and choose properties.

properties.jpg

click on the Membership Rules tab

membership_rules_tab.jpg

click on the blue computer icon to create a direct membership rule

membership_rules.jpg

when the wizard appears click next

change the drop down menus so they are like this

Resource Class: System Resource
Attribute name: Name

*you can choose Netbios Name also*

resource_class.jpg

enter your computername that you want to remove the abortpxe.com feature from in lowercase or use wildcards eg: dell%

d.jpg

click next and leave the collection blank, click next again

blank.jpg

and here's the fun part !!!

look at the list, theres TWO of the computers with the same name... select them both *or only one if one appears* and click next

two_listed.jpg

click finish and then click ok at this screen

3_now.jpg

Step 2. Refresh the collection

Refresh the collection by selecting it and hitting F5

you should now see more than one of your original computers listed with the same name...

obsolete.jpg

Step 3. You are done !

That's it, your advertisement will begin working again now as now SCCM 'sees' the computer again. If you want you can delete the obsolete computers listed, it really doesn't matter if you leave them there or delete them.

delete.jpg

that's it smile.gif

abortpxe.com is kaboof !

related reading > http://blogs.msdn.com/b/steverac/archive/2013/10/03/delete-behavior-for-devices-in-configmgr-2012.aspx

Thanks everyone for all the advice, all very useful, but I still couldn't PXE boot my new machine.

I checked the SMS PXE Service Point under Site Status and saw the below:

The SMS PXE Service Point intructed device to boot normally since it has no PXE advertisement assigned.

SMSPXE.log showed: No Boot Action for Device (2119) found

I searched for the error and found the below link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/smsandmom/archive/2008/10/02/configmgr-2007-osd-pxe-booting-fails-with-error-no-boot-action-for-device-x-found.aspx

Some clever ... cleared out the boot images

Hi, just want to say thanks for the steps listed here....

So...I'm trying to figure out *why* this happens. On a test machine that I'd be reimaging, I could select "Clear Last PXE Advertisement" and that would work a few times, then stop, just as detailed here. I did the steps listed above (direct membership rules, finding a duplicate entry listed once I did that, deleting that, etc.)

The strange part was once I did that, the test collection I had that one PC in was gone, as was the task sequence advertisement. I had to recreate both. No big deal, but is that normal?

And, is this a bug with SCCM 2007, or is more to do with WDS caching as some have mentioned? Is the process any smoother in SCCM 2012?

Dear AnyWeb,

This post is awesome! It helped me a lot.

I just have a bit confusing about PXE booting. All my machines now could boot and run SCCM as normal, but the booting screen is still like below:

Downloaded WDSNBP

Architecture: x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot request for this computer. Please provide these details to your Windows Deployment Services Administrator so that this request can be approved.

Pending Request ID: 45

Contacting Server: 192.168.3.1.

TFTP Download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com

PXE Boot aborted. Booting to next device...

I tried to run on x84 Windows 7 platform. Is it anything missing that I need to take care about PXE boot? Thanks you so much!

Cheers,

I encountered this error after not reading the instructions carefully.

When creating the task sequence I had gone with the default, instead of selecting "Make available to the following : Configuration Manager clients, media and PXE"

Initially I wasn't even getting to this point as the WDS service had to be restarted after installing automatically and SCCM doesn't make this apparent.

Hopefully I can edit this from work to make it clearer.

I am running into same issue with SCCM 2012 . Here is my issue :

have created OS image , Boot images and deployed it to all distribution points .

Enabled PXE support and all Unknown computer support on secondary server DP.

Changes Scope options in DHCP to reflect the secondary server values .

Created task sequence to deploy my image to all unknown computers and created optional advertisement . Now the issue is when I PXE boot my computer I can see the communication to my secondary server , As soon as I hit F12 button I got the below message . smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com PXE Boot aborted. Booting to next device... PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM. Operating System not found

I have restarted Windows deployment service in secondary server and reboot the server as well .

The strange thing is if I change the option 66 value in DHCP to primary server it is working pretty well . If I change it back to secondary server the same issue .

SMSPxe.log was not much helpful as I cant see any error message. All I can see is "No Advertisements found " .

I am running SCCM 2012 on server 2012 operating system . Does anyone have any idea on where I should look to resolve this problem or to dig deeper?

Thanks in Advance .

Cheers,

Kishore

I had a similar issue and stumbled upon this forum. All solutions provided did not help in my case. I have been able to resolve this by adding the BIOS GUID to the computer information when importing. This machine was once added with BIOS GUID info. It seems that when deleting the device from SCCM and then re-adding it with only a MAC address gives exactly this issue:

<![LOG[00:21:70:E5:AD:11, 4C4C4544-0038-4410-8033-B1C04F37344A: device is in the database.]LOG]!><time="15:33:56.160-60" date="01-13-2015" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="1464" file="database.cpp:483">

<![LOG[00:21:70:E5:AD:11, 4C4C4544-0038-4410-8033-B1C04F37344A: no advertisements found]LOG]!><time="15:33:56.488-60" date="01-13-2015" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="1464" file="database.cpp:483">

When re-added I see:

<![LOG[00:21:70:E5:AD:11, 4C4C4544-0038-4410-8033-B1C04F37344A: device is in the database.]LOG]!><time="15:37:59.485-60" date="01-13-2015" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="1464" file="database.cpp:483">

<![LOG[00:21:70:E5:AD:11, 4C4C4544-0038-4410-8033-B1C04F37344A: using advertisement P0020008]LOG]!><time="15:37:59.798-60" date="01-13-2015" component="SMSPXE" context="" type="1" thread="1464" file="database.cpp:483">

So clearly this solved my issue.