anyweb

how to get rid of abortpxe.com

Question

Note: this works for me, your mileage may vary, it's worth a try, let me know if it helps.

if you've just started testing with SCCM you'll no doubt see this when imaging a client over and over, after you image the computer you cannot image it again until you right click on the computer in SCCM and choose 'clear last PXE advertisement'

clear_last_pxe.jpg

when you do that, you should be able to image the computer again, which is great when you are testing clients over and over to get your Task Sequence working...

however, after doing this a few times it no longer works, the clear last PXE advertisement no longer works

no_pxe_advertisement_listed.jpg

and when you PXE boot the client you still see the abortpxe message

Downloaded WDSNBP

Architecture: x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot request for this computer. Please provide these details to your Windows Deployment Services Administrator so that this request can be approved.

Pending Request ID: 45

Contacting Server: 192.168.3.1.
TFTP Download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com

PXE Boot aborted. Booting to next device...

Those lines above have added to my grey hair content many times as I would try all sort of things to resolve this including

1. deleting the advertisement and re-advertising it
2. restarting WDS and DHCP service
3. restarting SCCM server
4. all of the above and then some....

until finally I tried the following method which appears to work just fine,

Step 1.Add a rule

Add a direct membership rule on the collection you are deploying to by right clicking on it and choose properties.

properties.jpg

click on the Membership Rules tab

membership_rules_tab.jpg

click on the blue computer icon to create a direct membership rule

membership_rules.jpg

when the wizard appears click next

change the drop down menus so they are like this

Resource Class: System Resource
Attribute name: Name

*you can choose Netbios Name also*

resource_class.jpg

enter your computername that you want to remove the abortpxe.com feature from in lowercase or use wildcards eg: dell%

d.jpg

click next and leave the collection blank, click next again

blank.jpg

and here's the fun part !!!

look at the list, theres TWO of the computers with the same name... select them both *or only one if one appears* and click next

two_listed.jpg

click finish and then click ok at this screen

3_now.jpg

Step 2. Refresh the collection

Refresh the collection by selecting it and hitting F5

you should now see more than one of your original computers listed with the same name...

obsolete.jpg

Step 3. You are done !

That's it, your advertisement will begin working again now as now SCCM 'sees' the computer again. If you want you can delete the obsolete computers listed, it really doesn't matter if you leave them there or delete them.

delete.jpg

that's it smile.gif

abortpxe.com is kaboof !

related reading > http://blogs.msdn.com/b/steverac/archive/2013/10/03/delete-behavior-for-devices-in-configmgr-2012.aspx

In my case I needed to search by MAC address to find my phantom machine to clear the pxe advertisement because the computer had a different name. It took a while to figure out how to add an item to a collection by mac address, so here's how:

1. Right click the collection, select Properties
  2. Select the "Membership Rules" tab
  3. Click the orange silo button to add a Query Rule
  4. Give this query a name
  5. Select "System Resource" and click "Edit Query Statement"
  6. Select the "Criteria" tab and click the yellow * button
  7. Click the "Select..." button
  8. For Attribute class select "System Resource"
  9. For Attribute class select "MAC Address"
  10. Click OK. "Operator" should already be "is equal to"
  11. For "Value" enter your MAC Address, include the colons
  12. Click OK, OK, OK, OK to get out of the wizard.
  13. Right click the collection, "Update Collection Membership" and Refresh

Now you should be able to "Clear Last PXE Advertisement" and redeploy the OS to it. In the future you can just Update Collection Membership and it'll find the machine no matter what it's name is.

Maybe I'm not reading this topic right or maybe my problem is something different.

I have the same issue and am able to PXE boot for some machines. However, there are some machines that get the abortpxe and refuse to take the PXE step.

However, I don't want to have to find these machines each time. Is there a way to auto drop these machines so that our PXE will work for them?

It appears that the database just has these machines in there and won't let go. I'm not sure that PXE-Filter is the way to go...

Any thoughts?

The above fix works for me most of the time; however, sometimes I build a manual machine association using the MAC address because it is a “New” machine. I add them to the “All Systems” collection first and then do a “Direct Membership” (as illustrated above) using MAC or the name I gave it when I created it. The machine shows up in the collection after refreshing/updating membership. Sometimes these pick right up and get the advertisement; other times it takes an hour for them to be recognized. When I look at the PXE service point log it says “The SMS PXS Service Point encountered and unknown device. Device MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx SMBIOS GUID: <long number/letter combo>.” Because I do not (cannot due to security) have unknown computer support turned on the machine skips over the PXE process and boots normally. Sometime later and with no other changes it picks up the advertisement and does OSD great. Any ideas?

Anyweb, Thanks for all of the great advice you have given here, you have done a lot of work and I, as many others are very appreciative.

I will let you know as soon as I test the “restart WDS” theory; I do not have a machine acting up right now. What would be the solution if that is it? I mean we will be imaging 20~50 computers a day at various buildings on our CAN once we are 100%, this is the last hurdle, so monitoring that and restarting that service would not be a palatable option.

As for the unknown computer support, we are a large organization with dedicated IAO (Information Assurance Office) who decided that unknown computer support sounds scary and dangerous. (Even given the password that can be used) This is not that big of a deal because I build the association in SCCM, that way I don’t have to provide a computer name (It pulls the one I give it when I build the association) and then it uses that name when it joins the domain (Again here, I have to pre-populate AD with the computer object as no computers can join our domain unless the object already exists) Ahh, the many many hoops of IT. Thanks again!

thanks for the kind words :) the wds service has a cache which tends to 'store' things related to pxe boots, this can be set via the registry, so restarting the WDS service is a test to see if it's worth setting this value, so please test it

Ok, so we built 3 new machine associations using MAC and computer name and then made direct membership to a collection. Tried to PXE them and they gave the error "SMS PXE Service Point Encountered an Unknown Device"

I stopped and then started the WDS service on my PXE point and then immediately all three machines started working!

Thanks for any guidance you can provide from here.

-----UPDATE-------

To fix this, reduce the WDS cache size. Open regedit on the WDS server and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SMS\PXE (or for 64-bit OS, head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS\PXE). Modify the CacheExpire DWORD and set it to a lower value, in my case I set it to decimal value of 1, meaning that cache will only last for 1 second.

Restart the WDS service.

Further info here – http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019640

Kudos to Anyweb for the tip that led me in that direction!