justarob

Software Updates ‘Past due – Will be installed’

I continue to have issues deploying software updates with SCCM 2012.

In some cases updates kick off and install at the desired deadline time. In other cases they will sit at "Past due – Will be installed" until i manually login and kick them off. Servers in same collection, a few work as expected and most sit at Past Due. I have a large maintenance window of 24 hours scheduled, and only deploying 1-8 updates. I have looked through the client logs but nothing jumps out at me.

These are production servers so the timing is sensitive, and they need to be deployed within an hour of the specified deadline. This is causing me extra work having to logon to the servers individually and manually kick off the updates.

I have confirmed the client setting "Agent extensions manage the deployment of applications and software updates" is set to false.

I have searched around and can not find a solution to this issue, only the talk of maintenance windows and Agent extension setting.

Anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever get a fix for this? I am having problems with the SUP as well. Feel like I'm banging my head against a wall at the moment.

No, still have no answer on the issue.

Another week until I will deploy patches again. I am going to take better notes this time on what machines work and which ones don't, then dig through all the client logs.

Just don't get it. Machines in the same collection. A few start the deployment on time as expected, then others just sit at "Past due – Will be installed".

It’s like the process works if you let it sit long enough (for hours), but I only have a small window to patch and reboot the computers. I need them to kickoff within a few minutes of the set deadline.

Finally got this one nailed down.

Thanks to the post from John Savill

Here http://www.windowsit...0#commentAnchor

From MS TechNet

Note: The actual installation deadline time is the displayed deadline time plus a random amount of time up to 2 hours. This reduces the impact of all client computers in the destination collection from installing the software updates in the deployment at the same time."

John recommends a workaround of setting the deadline 2 hours before the start of the maintenance window. This enables the updates to all kick off at the same time.

Looks like they are added functionality in SP1 for “Disable deadline randomization” within the agent settings.

From MS Technet on SP1

Disable deadline randomization

For System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 only.

This setting determines whether the client uses an activation delay of up to two hours to install required software updates and required applications when the deadline is reached. By default, the activation delay is disabled.

For virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) scenarios, this delay can help to distribute the CPU processing and data transfer for a computer that has multiple virtual machines that run the Configuration Manager client. Even if you do not use VDI, if many clients install the same software at the same time, this can negatively increase CPU usage on the site server, slow down distribution points, and significantly reduce the available network bandwidth.

If required software updates and required applications must install without delay when the configured deadline is reached, select No for this setting.

PS. I was testing before I found this information. One machine installed within 10 minutes of deadline, and another installed after an hour and half. I think the setting the deadline 2 hours before maintenance window sounds like a good workaround until the SP1 is released to manufacturing. I will test the workaround next week sometime and post an update.