jrizzo

Task sequence keeps waiting

Hello,

I am trying to deploy a large software application with multiple installation steps using a task sequence. Each step of the task sequence installs software from a different package. The total content is over 7 GB, so I have set the advertisement to "Access content directly from a distribution point when needed by the running task sequence". When the advertisement runs on my test computer, the advertisement is accepted and then it enters the status "Waiting". It has been in this state for over 24 hours, and I don't understand why. I checked all of the packages, and they all appear to be available on a distribution point which is available to the test computer. Am I wrong in thinking that it shouldn't be waiting for anything, since it should be accessing the content directly from a distribution point? Is there anything that I can do to figure out what it is waiting for (and how to get it to run from the DP instead of waiting for it)? Any suggestions that you can offer would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jon

Have you individually tried them before trying the larger package?

It will sit waiting for an eternity if the software parameters specified in the package do not work....better to get them individually working first and then add them as a larger package

Have you individually tried them before trying the larger package?

It will sit waiting for an eternity if the software parameters specified in the package do not work....better to get them individually working first and then add them as a larger package

I've got to second this. Sounds like one (or more?) packages isn't all good after-all, and need a runthrough standalone first.

It's quite a bit of work to test packages individually, but the total of it is well worth it :)

Confirming each package saves you alot of time in the end!

What Rocker Man and Xist said. Also check your sccm report "Task Sequence Advertisement Status - Status summary of a specific task sequence advertisement", if thats not the report you are already looking at. This report should show you what step it is stuck on/currently trying to run, and hopefully give an error.