Chadwill

Using SCCM as a tool for the helpdesk

Currently we are using the latest version of Dameware NT utilities, for our helpdesk work.

We have populated the "Discription" field in AD for all the computers, with the owner name, just to find the right computer fast.

We recently tried to use SCCM 2012 as our main helpdesk tool, Remote Viewer and with console extension tools installed.

It really works great..

The one big downside to this, is that we constantly need to open AD user and computers, just to see who owns a particular computer.

As we could not seem to get last logged on user/primary user or the description field to show under computer collections.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

We really need to know who owns/uses the computer to be able to make this work.

Best solution would that we could search after the logon name or description field text..

This sound very custom to me, i don't know how to do it myself, but i know in my country there is a couple of company's who do this kind of custom stuff with system center products. They take data from what they like in SCCM etc and presentate it in a webinterface for helpdesk users, also they can do limited configuration. I think it's all built on powershell and wmi integration. Like SCCM > Powershell > HTML.

We use User Affinity to determine primary users/devices and this works very well for our helpdesk. In a user collection, we can click on the user, select primary device and all is well. In the case which it can't determine a primary device, usually right clicking the user and selecting edit primary devices will display a list of machines they login to. From there it is pretty easy to determine which one they are on. Hope that helps.

• Like 1