hhancock

Monitor Task Sequence

Is there a way to monitor a Task Sequence? Is the only way through the SMSTS.log on the client?

I have a TS that was running fine. I've added an application to the TS (Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 SP1) and it appears to be taking a VERY long time (currently over 45 minutes). The appliaction was configured with all defaults and no additional customizations. The TS without this application only took ~25 minutes. Is it normal to take this long? How do I know when to cancel and try to find out why it's not finishing?

There is always the SMSTS.log.

But what you may me looking for is what was called "Advertisment logs" in SCCM2007, since the "Deployments" section don't give you that much information. Here is how you can open the "Advertisments logs" for TS:

Look at your Task Sequence "Package ID" write it down or copy it.

Go to Monitor tab in the console > System Status > Status Message Queries > All status Messages for a Specific Package at a specific site

queries.png

And then enter the package ID + Site + time interval:

showmessages-resized-600.png

This works with Deployments, packages ID and collection ID.

I know Office can take a very long time to install, is this a Build & Capture TS? If not i can recommend that you design office with the Customizing Tool and they include it in you standard .wim file. Somehow it goes faster to install it like that, then to have it as a separate Application in the TS.

When i did a BC with Office 2013 and with all products, it took 90Minutes to finish just that step.

I know Office can take a very long time to install, is this a Build & Capture TS? If not i can recommend that you design office with the Customizing Tool and they include it in you standard .wim file. Somehow it goes faster to install it like that, then to have it as a separate Application in the TS.

When i did a BC with Office 2013 and with all products, it took 90Minutes to finish just that step.

This is not a build and capture. I did a basic build and capture and then installed all the updates to the .WIM using Offline Servicing. I then created a installation task sequence that installs Office 2010 separately.

I guess I will give it more time. Just seems a little suspect that it can take over 1 hour to install Office...

I just started the process again and haven't let it sit to long but this is where is just basically stops. There are no errors or anything in the logs that I can see.

post-15358-0-65780300-1351790831_thumb.png