anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 9. Deploying Monthly Updates

What's the point in Disabling the ARD once you created it? Don't you still want it to run every month?

you create the ADR to create the deployment package, once done you disable the ADR and recreate it as before, except this time you re-use the previously created deployment package, this is to avoid recreating the deployment package every time the ADR runs...

Great tutorial but I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer:

1. Under step #3, the screenshot directly below "So Below screenshot is from the first run of the ADR." shows a package source (\\cas\sources . . . ). Did you create this manually? The "WindowsUpdates\Windows 7|" sub-directory is not in my sources folder so I couldn't choose it. Do I have to create it manually? Also, what does it do? There really isn't an explanation unless I missed it in one of the other tutorials.

yes you have to create that folder manually, it's simply there to store the contents of the Windows 7 Updates for the windows 7 deployment package

2. You mention creating the ADR, running it, disabling it, and then recreate the rule (selecting the package the first rule created). When I try to recreate and name the rule and "Select Deployment Template", it says one with that name already exists. This makes sense but I see your screenshot shows two rules with the same name. Am I doing something wrong?

simply add a space or fullstop or rename the original ADR slightly to get the desired result, no you are not doing anything wrong, mine has an extra space (from memory..)

Thanks for any help you can give.

you are welcome :)

Would a "Best Practice" be to;

• Date release or revised Last 1 Month

This would allow the updates to catch any "out of cycle" patches that MS might push out? Since the update ADR is only running once a month. As alternative you could run this ADR daily and still keep it at Last 1 Day.

Do you have to keep the Disabled ADR's or can I just delete them?

post-18089-0-07314600-1356131164_thumb.jpg

if you want to do it that way in production go ahead, but you'll have a hard time keeping track of what is going out to your systems and when,

by setting it to Last one day and scheduling it to occur just after patch tuesday once per month, you are deciding when and where your systems get patched.

When I tried to execute the script I got the following error:

File C:\temp\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 cannot be loaded. The file C:\temp\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 is not digitally signed. The script will not execute on the system. Please see "get-help about_signing" for more details..

Any suggestions?