anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 9. Deploying Monthly Updates

When I tried to execute the script I got the following error:

File C:\temp\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 cannot be loaded. The file C:\temp\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 is not digitally signed. The script will not execute on the system. Please see "get-help about_signing" for more details..

Any suggestions?

did you read the guide ?

Once done we need to Set the Execution Policy to allow this script (RemoteSigned) to run.

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Another query:

How do I send the same ADR to another collection. I have office 2013 updates that at the moment are deployed via ADR to my windows 7 collection, I also want to deploy this ADR to my windows8 collection.

Do I have to create another ADR and point it to the office 2013 update source directory(that was created from my windows7 ADR) and then deploy this new ADR to the windows8 collection. Will this work, 2 ADRs' using the same source directory??

Thanks

If anyone should run into the problem I ran into I follow the following to get the scripts to run. You will have to do it to both CM12Functions.ps1 and CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1.

1. Save the script file on your computer.
2. Click Start, click My Computer, and locate the saved script file.
3. Right-click the script file, and then click Properties.
4. Click Unblock.

I noticed that when I run (Run Now) the ADR everything seems to work fine but when I look under "Software Update Groups" I do not see that it was created. If it is not created will it prevent clients from downloading updates? Also it will prevent me from measuring compliance, right?

Hi anyweb,

First of all... GREAT guides!

Small question, any idea when this part is coming:

thanks,

the maintenance windows post will come in the future when i get time, but the next post i've planned is for updating the CAS/Primaries/Clients to SP1, so please be patient, each and every guide I do can take days of work and it's all done in my spare time...

• Like 1

Another query:

How do I send the same ADR to another collection. I have office 2013 updates that at the moment are deployed via ADR to my windows 7 collection, I also want to deploy this ADR to my windows8 collection.

Do I have to create another ADR and point it to the office 2013 update source directory(that was created from my windows7 ADR) and then deploy this new ADR to the windows8 collection. Will this work, 2 ADRs' using the same source directory??

Thanks

First of all thank you for this and the other guides they have been extremely useful.

I am also interested in knowing if this is possible.

Currently I have my ADR(s) pointing to my Systems collection. As I would also like to deploy software updates as part of a PC image Deployment Task

Sequence I need to be able to deploy this/these to the "Unknown Computers" collection.

So pretty much the same questions as 'Rocket Man' Is there a way to do this or do I need create a duplicate ADR? If I have to create a duplicate ADR can I point this to the same share for package source?

Thanks

I noticed that when I run (Run Now) the ADR everything seems to work fine but when I look under "Software Update Groups" I do not see that it was created. If it is not created will it prevent clients from downloading updates? Also it will prevent me from measuring compliance, right?

Ok, I now understand what my issue is here. The reason the Software Update Group (SUG) is not being created is because of the "Last 1 day" setting in the guide. There has been not updates released in the last day so there was nothing to add to the SUG. I changed this setting to the last year and as expected there were lots of updates and the SUG was created.

This gives rise to a few more questions:

1. The "Last 1 day" selection in the guide captures the updates released the prior day (Patch Tuesday) and creates a SUG for the new updates. I suppose that from the guide's stand point your system are currently all patched up to the date of implementing the ADR. My thought is that you have another means of capturing needed updates that are outside of the current monthly cycle.

2. What do you think about when creating the ADRs the first time you actually create the SUG for the past year to capture older updates and then change it to the recommended/desired date range? eg. Past week or month.

3. On this same step is there any pro or con to selecting "Superseded = NO?" It seems like that would weed out unneeded patches being downloaded.

It's exciting when the light bulb goes on. :) I just might become a respectable SCCM admin if I keep this up.