anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 9. Deploying Monthly Updates

Another query:

How do I send the same ADR to another collection. I have office 2013 updates that at the moment are deployed via ADR to my windows 7 collection, I also want to deploy this ADR to my windows8 collection.

Do I have to create another ADR and point it to the office 2013 update source directory(that was created from my windows7 ADR) and then deploy this new ADR to the windows8 collection. Will this work, 2 ADRs' using the same source directory??

Thanks

I was pulling my hair off too regarding this problem. But the solution is pretty easy. Create a unique collection for every ADR and then just add every collection you want to receive this rule as a memeber.

This way you will not have the unnecessary overhead of duplicates.

Stupid questions:

So if we create an automatic task to deploy the fat Tuesday updates every month, how will you catch the updates from previous months since the OSD image was created retroactively?

It seems to me it would only deploy the current month.

Also, you have it configured to deploy all of the updates for Windows 7 in your example, but does that cover all of the MS products that may be in your environment or do you have to create separate product tasks?

Thanks!

Hi

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, I'm struggling to find an answer and thought I'd ask.

If I'm using ADRs for patch Tuesday against collections with a mix of 2008R2 and 2012 servers, are there any issues with deploying patches for both servers versions in the same ADR that would cause me major pain? I'm assuming the client works it out, but I haven't found anything yet to tell me how the client determines which patches in a deployment to download and deploy.

Thanks

Greg

Hi
Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, I'm struggling to find an answer and thought I'd ask.
If I'm using ADRs for patch Tuesday against collections with a mix of 2008R2 and 2012 servers, are there any issues with deploying patches for both servers versions in the same ADR that would cause me major pain? I'm assuming the client works it out, but I haven't found anything yet to tell me how the client determines which patches in a deployment to download and deploy.
Thanks
Greg

that should work ok, however measuring compliance on that ADR will be more challenging as you are mixing updates in the same ADR, if you dont care about compliance and reporting then you should be ok, or if you think 'general' compliance is good enough.

Normally with servers you want to have a clear picture of what servers are patched (compliant) versus those that are not,

in addition to the above, the Configuration Manager client knows which software updates to isntall even if you offer it windows updates from another OS altogether.

I was pulling my hair off too regarding this problem. But the solution is pretty easy. Create a unique collection for every ADR and then just add every collection you want to receive this rule as a memeber.

This way you will not have the unnecessary overhead of duplicates.

Thanks Peter, it does make sense when you think of it......... will try these custom ADR collections.

Not worth the risk of pointing 2 ADRs to the same source folder, it possibly may work but at the moment I have no test sites to test this at, and to be honest your suggestion sounds more practical and logical!! :D

Thanks

Do you mean create a SUG first then a deployment package?

This will leave it that the Deployment Package will only have the updates that you have specified and will never pull down any new ones automatically into it.

With an ADR you have evaluation cycle, filters, deployment all automated and depending on what filters you specify depends on what new updates gets automatically added to the deployment package and deployed at specified times i:e monthly, weekly, daily. This is all automated and the best way to do it!!

First of all great tutorial many thanks for your hard work :)

Now the question i've created the ADR then disabled it en recreate the new once just you sad in this tutorial.

"retire it by right clicking on the rule and select Disable and create a new ADR"

But must I run the recreated ADR "run now" for one time or does it start by itself? and leave it enabled.

TIA,

Harmen