anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 9. Deploying Monthly Updates

First of all great tutorial many thanks for your hard work :)

thanks, always appreciated to hear that,

But must I run the recreated ADR "run now" for one time or does it start by itself? and leave it enabled.

the new one will run by itself on a schedule, you can run now if you want it to run immediately however, and yes you leave it enabled

Just a suggestion, but couldn't we manually create the Deployment Package instead of creating an entire ADR just to create it? Is there any benefit to having an ADR create it instead?

I second this. I made some mistakes when I was creating these templates initially and I saw how these deployments were already created from previous attempts, so I just re-used them. Seems like it's a cleaner to create a deployment first, then an ADR, rather than having to go through the ADR wizard twice (albeit using a template the second time to save some steps) and then have a bunch of disabled ADRs in the console to scroll by.

I also found I triggered a weird error where the console crashes (.NET runtime error) when I tried to select a template.

But shouldn't creating a deployment then an ADR be just as good as doing ADR twice? Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

you can do it whatever way works best for you, i'm only showing you the way I do it, if your method works, then use it (and blog it !), i'm happy to link to it here.

you can do it whatever way works best for you, i'm only showing you the way I do it, if your method works, then use it (and blog it !), i'm happy to link to it here.

I get that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something compared to the way you do it. But cool, thank you for that. Maybe I will blog one of these days. :-)

Excellent tutorial. It helped me get started with this months patching.

My experience with 2012 is about a month old so forgive me if this is already covered.

Current Setup

I have multiple collections for Software Updates: Windows Server 2008 with various maintenance windows in each of them.

WS2008 Automatic

WS2008 MW 1

WS2008 MW 2

WS2008 MW 3

WS2008 Manual

I have one ADR that will download all Windows Server 2008 patches that are required on at least one (1) system, not superseded and not expired. This ADR deploys the patches to my Automatic collection for systems that can be patched at any time.

My understanding is that the ADR will evaluate each collection and only download/deploy the updates required for that collection based on my criteria above

Is there an efficient way to download/deploy the patches to the other collections while ensuring a minimal footprint and automating the process? Do I simply create an ADR for each collection? Will the updates not get duplicated if using multiple or is it a single shared repository of updates?

This is a similar question to what I had previously on the thread. The solution is to create an ADR collection, so you could have a server ADR collection, have one Deployment package with all server OS filtered in it and whatever other filters and then deploy this to the server ADR collection.

Just include your different server collections to the server ADR collection thus achieving minimal ADRs

First of all, great job this is definitely the best SCCM blog I've found.

I am having trouble with deploying updates, the clients deployment status shows this:

Error Code:0x80070005

Error Description:Access is denied.

Last Enforcement State: Failed to install update(s)

Last Enforcement Error Code:0x80070005

http://ioan.in/N2EG

I have a permission problem somewhere :(

On the clients I get:

Failed to download contents for update 1a571c03-31b3-440e-87ee-d4952f090d03.

Bundle update "20b340d0-2c5e-4600-8095-f7a5e403f1a2" failed to get content for update "cb2c36a8-437a-4be5-9780-571301b7e53f". Please check the enforcement status of update "cb2c36a8-437a-4be5-9780-571301b7e53f" to get further details.

Updates advance download job completed with failure for assignment {d1325882-d2d1-49c8-9e18-127f7cf51176}.

Any hints on this are greatly apreciated :D

I have Stand-Alone Primary Server for SCCM 2012.

This is a nice step-by-step guide in here but I am not sure, it applies for stand-alone primary server. I am also not sure, if I run the PS to create Folder and collections, what may go wrong.

Can anyone please guide (step-by-step, if possible) me through to

a. Manage Monthly Windows backup, for Client OS and Server OS in monthly maintenance window or 2nd Tuesday of every month with ADR

b. Non Microsoft Update (Adobe, dell etc)