anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 9. Deploying Monthly Updates

Hi Opacityzero,

I would wait for Anyweb, Rocketman, or anyone else with more experience to reply before taking my advise to heart, but I would try the following:

Remove the SUP (Software Update Point) role from SCCM (Under Servers and Site System Roles). Remove the WSUS role from the server altogether and start again. I know from my own experience and others on forums, with SCCM and WSUS, it can be a bit picky.

It's best to NEVER EVER even open the WSUS console...EVER!!! lol.

What I would do is:

Remove the SUP role.

Remove WSUS from the server it self, and then follow the guide from Anyweb to set it up again.

Once you have done that, don't open the WSUS console at all. Never even touch it. Windows Updates will be 100% managed via the SUP role on SCCM.

Once you have sorted the SUP role out and set a sync time and status, you can monitor it from here:

post-20536-0-57131100-1387193040_thumb.png

Also, the log files should be ruleengine.log & wsyncmg.log, which for me is located in "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs\"

(Obviously, change the location for your own).

I could be wrong, but this is my best answer from my own experience as I had problems initially as well.

Thanks

I followed this tutorial back in October. I thought the initial install worked so I left it alone. After a computer on our network got infected with ransomeware I started checking into machines and the last time they were updated. They all list the same date in October 2013. Maybe what really happened is the existing updates on our client machines were working and then stopped working when I goofed something up on the this tutorial. What can I look into to get this functioning? I noticed my sources directory has not been updated since October. I double checked all settings today and all match this tutorial exactly. Thanks for your help!

Hey and thanks for a great guide.

I created the update package using your guide, but it doesn't seem to download any updates? I have approved all updates up to this date. Do I have to wait for it to sync or should it begin downloading the files immediately? The network folder where I choose to store the package is also empty.

This is how it looks like:

noupdatesfound.PNG

Hey and thanks for a great guide.

thanks !

what do the log files mentioned in the guide tell you ?

It tells me that the sync is successful, but when I looked closer it doesn't seem to have created a new software update group. Should it do that immediately when running the ADR?

I am able to add updates to the deployment package by manually selecting updates in "all updates" and creating a software update group, and then downloading the updates to the deployment package. But the ADR should do this automatically, right?

Hi,

Can you explain how you deal with the supersedence of patches please? when patches get superseded it appears that it ruins the deployment compliance view and I am unable to see the actual compliance until I delete the expired patches and the clients eventually report back. Have I misconfigured something?

thanks