anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 9. Deploying Monthly Updates

I followed this tutorial a while ago and everything is working great... or at least I thought so. Today I noticed none of my machines had Office 2013 SP1, I am correct in thinking that this should just go out as an monthly update. If so what could I have set wrong?

An IT consultant configured our SCCM for windows updates last years and it has never worked... I have gone through the different configuration and unable to find any clue where it needs fixing...

Please see attached images...

Not sure where to start and what I am looking for....................

Second Image; All these folders are empty.........

Please help!!!!

post-20503-0-36970300-1402164782_thumb.png

post-20503-0-97625000-1402164957_thumb.png

well there are a few things to check, have any software updates been deployed to your clients ? are the Configuration Manager client agents working on your clients ? are the folders you showed above populated with updates ? what do your logs tell you on your Configuration Manager server...

well there are a few things to check, have any software updates been deployed to your clients ? are the Configuration Manager client agents working on your clients ? are the folders you showed above populated with updates ? what do your logs tell you on your Configuration Manager server...

Hello,

Sorry for being late reply.

In fact I was waiting for an email to alert me regarding an update on this website.... Never mind.... I am here now and will be here everyday....

Well let's get to the topic now.....

our Configuration Manager clients are working perfectly as we deploy other software through it.... so no problem regarding clients installation...

All these folders for windows updates are empty....

Which logs shall I check???

Thanks....Great help...

no, you are not looking in the right place, look at my screenshot, and then yours. hint: assets and compliance.

HI,

1st let me thank you for all your work - saved me a lot time and helped me several times.

unfortunately - got the same issue - running the script for the first time - everything woks fine, but after accidently deleted the folders and collections, we just re-run the script and it does not recreate the folders and collections.

I'm looking at the right location: Assets and Compliance - Overview - Device Collections

Any idea?

Thanks!

SiD

and you refreshed your view in the console ? when you ruin the script again did it complain (it does generate log files from the directory you run it from)

Yes I did - refreshed the console view - no ist does not

PS output:

PS D:\powershell scripts> .\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollection_Software_Updates.xml
Get and read XML file FolderAndCollection_Software_Updates.xml
Get folder id 16777277 from folder name Software Updates
Get folder id 16777279 from folder name Software Updates - Windows XP
Get folder id 16777240 from folder name Software Updates - Windows 7
Get folder id 16777241 from folder name Software Updates - Windows 8
Get folder id 16777272 from folder name Software Updates - Windows Server 2003
Get folder id 16777243 from folder name Software Updates - Windows Server 2008
Get folder id 16777244 from folder name Software Updates - Windows Server 2012
Get collection id xxx00107 from collection name Software Updates - Windows XP
Get collection id xxx000B5 from collection name Software Updates - Windows 7
Get collection id xxx000B6 from collection name Software Updates - Windows 8
Get collection id xxx00102 from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2003 Manual
Get collection id xxx00103 from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2003 Automatic
Get collection id xxx00104 from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2003 Maintenance Window [Fri 10-12 pm]

Get collection id xxx000BA from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2008 Manual
Get collection id xxx000BB from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2008 Automatic
Get collection id xxx000BC from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2008 Maintenance Window [Fri 10-12 pm]

Get collection id xxx000BD from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2012 Manual
Get collection id xxx000BE from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2012 Automatic
Get collection id xxx000BF from collection name Software Updates - Windows Server 2012 Maintenance Window [Fri 10-12 pm]

also checked the logfile - looks exactly the same. imho - the folder still exist somehow and are just not visible in the console view.

May it be that the collections are still in the ADR mentioned, that they were not really deleted.

Just tried to create a collection and a folder manually - and surprise - it work's

So I can create them manually but not with the script.

show me a screenshot of what you see in Assets and Compliance, and then Device Collections, do you see a software updates folder ? expand it... it should look something like mine below...

software updates.png

create the rule as you did before, so choose 'create new software update group'

this will allow you to run compliance reports for that months patches otherwise all the patches would end up month after month in the same software update group and you'd have a problem trying to determine last months compliance

Hi Anyweb, or anyone that can help me.

I understand the part about creating a new SUG for each month.

But, can you tell me why I should continue using the exiting package to distribute my updates?

The reason why I ask is because, I don't want to keep adding updates to my existing package on my DP.

Over time this package will become huge, and some of the updates inside of it will become superseded, expired or not required.

Is my understanding of this correct?

Should I have a separate package for each months updates.

Thanks